News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dakar rally 2008 cancelled

Started by fano, January 04, 2008, 01:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fano

Deutsch version Versión española Versão portuguesa Version française English Version Lisbon, Friday the 4th of January 2008

A.S.O. cancels the 2008 edition of the Dakar rally
After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal's capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.'s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world's biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.

CBAT

Bummer.  :evil: One of my favorite events to keep up with.
Bruce

TigerTrax

Who'd a Thunk it ....

Next on your Explosive Hit Parade: Africa.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

TriumphTengu

Makes me think that the movie "The Road Warrior" is the future of Dakar type rallies.  No joke.  This sucks big ones.....
Are We Having Fun Yet?

ridin gaijin

Luckily, we're winning the War on Terror, just like we won the War on Poverty and the War on Drugs. It'll all be OK for next year!  :D

Seriously? I noted this article in conjunction with several other recent ones on the increasing unsafeness of the Baja. Will the Baja 1000 (etc.) too be menaced, whether by crime or other sorts of terrorism? Global douchebaggery seems to be impacting our beloved sport in some highly visible visible ways.  :(
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

JetdocX

The Rally does not even touch French soil anymore.  Maybe it's time for a change of leadership. :wink:

Dakar racers are tougher than any of the Al-Queefer goat-fookers.  Arm the racers!
From parts unknown.

TriumphTengu

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"Luckily, we're winning the War on Terror, just like we won the War on Poverty and the War on Drugs. It'll all be OK for next year!  :D

Seriously? I noted this article in conjunction with several other recent ones on the increasing unsafeness of the Baja. Will the Baja 1000 (etc.) too be menaced, whether by crime or other sorts of terrorism? Global douchebaggery seems to be impacting our beloved sport in some highly visible visible ways.  :(

You think Al Qaeda is dangerous?  You ever seen a Jumping Cholla?

:lol:
Are We Having Fun Yet?

zopilote

But...Stubborn as only swedes can be, motorcyclists Annie Seel and Henrik Rahm will drive the Dakar-rally anyway  :lol:
They have just reached Timbuktu in Mali.

ridin gaijin

:shock:

? Someone forgot to tell them...?

:D

zopilote

Quote from: "ridin gaijin":shock:
? Someone forgot to tell them...?
 :D

No... :D
I am not sure about Henrik, but Annie (http://www.annieseel.com/) has been trying to reach top40 in the Dakar-rallye for a few years now.

I think she thought like: Well, as i already am here... :twisted:

blacktiger

Quote from: "zopilote"I am not sure about Henrik, but Annie (http://www.annieseel.com/) has been trying to reach top40 in the Dakar-rallye for a few years now.

As there's only two of them now the worst she can do is 2nd. Great result.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "blacktiger"As there's only two of them now the worst she can do is 2nd. Great result.

That's just mean...

Also: Everyone...follow zopilote's link for god's sakes! This is Annie...!

License plate S X Y indeed.......OK, I personally feel that Annie should have absolutely everything in life she wants. Because.

HappyMan

Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

JetdocX

I think I want to have her babies... :shock:
From parts unknown.