News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grease your swingarm

Started by Sasquatch, January 14, 2008, 03:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Just pulled the swingarm off my 01 to rebuild my shock.  The swingarm bearings were very dry and on the verge of rusting.  I thought Triumph would be a bit better than the jap bikes and not skimp on bearing grease, but I guess not.  So pull yours apart and grease them soon.

blacktiger

That's easy for you to say.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

MadridTiger

aren´t there grease nipples? I haven´t looked yet  as mine´s only  6 months old !:shock:
MadridTiger[size=84]The IRISH Cat[/size]
´07 955i in black,

Sasquatch

I have not seen grease nipples on a MC swing arm in years.  Just grease them up good and they should be good for many, many years.

Advwannabe

"I have not seen grease nipples on a MC swing arm in years. Just grease them up good and they should be good for many, many years."

Even if you are getting them wet regularly? The grease in mine was starting to break down the last time I looked
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

blacktiger

Quote from: "MadridTiger"aren´t there grease nipples? I haven´t looked yet  as mine´s only  6 months old !:shock:

I think Steamers have nipples on the linkage. I think Sasquatch was meaning the actual swingarm pivot bearings. They've not had nipples on any bike I've ever owned.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sasquatch

And the Girly does not have any linkage on the shock, it is direct mounted.  Yes, I was referring to the main pivot.

zombie

Bingo
have mine all took apart and re-greased the whole assembly , really needed it after Alaska

Stretch

Special note for 2005-2006 Girlies

'05-'06's use press-in sealed bearings in the swingarm pivot.  However, that does not eliminate the need for occasional maintenance.  Moisture inside the pivot can cause the spindle and bushings to rust, limiting free movement and making them difficult to remove.  The maintenance schedule in the 2006 manual calls for lubricating the rear suspension every four years or 24,000 miles.  While you're in there cleaning and re-greasing everything, stick a finger in each bearing and make sure the inner races turn smoothly.