News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

AMA - Should I join? Have any of you?

Started by HappyMan, January 11, 2008, 07:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katoomon

The problem with the motorcycling community (all that ride) is that we are fragmented into tiny groups with no voice.  There are racers, cruisers, sport riders, touring riders, off-road, on-road, etc, and they belong to small organizations.  The AMA has the potential to unify the mass of numbers and give us a voice.  As an example, the NRA has millions of members, and they have political influence.

Riders are independent by nature and the type of people that don't want representation.  The AMA is the potential organization to represent all motorcyclists, if riders join.  The AMA has Washington lobbyists that bring to light the actions against our sport or activity so that they hopefully do not become new law.  They also support legislation that is to our benefit.

- The AMA supports state legislation that increases the penalty for injuring or killing another motorist or motorcyclist due to illegal actions or inattentive driving.  http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/index.asp

- The insurance industry (big f'ing money) want to lump all types of bikes together into groups that they rate as safe, or unsafe.  In the unsafe category, Supersport motorcycles, the Suzuki Hayabusa, the Honda ST1300, BMW F800's and R1200RT, and a Buell Blast are in the same group; and the insurance industry wants to limit the performance or outlaw that category.  What do those bikes have in common?  http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/IIHS.asp

- Rider fatalities are up 5% in 2006 (from 2005), helmets, no helmets, and all.  4,810 of our brothers, sisters, and big eared cousins died on motorcycles in 2006.  How many new motorcyclists?  Are our numbers are shrinking?  The AMA campaigned to get Federal funds for the most comprehensive study since the Hurt Report in the 70's to determine the cause.  The Feds put up money with a condition, match the amount.  The AMA pledged money, got the MSF to kick in, rallied private donations and corporate sponsors.  Funding is assured, and the new study will begin this year.  What will the data reveal, perhaps the insurance industry will have the flawed logic defeated.

- The health insurance industry excludes coverage for high risk activities and sports.  There is a bill to close this loophole... http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

- Recreate off-road?  Road and trail closures or restrictions are happening all over the US.  The USFS is a primary offender, closing land that they cannot manage,  The BLM will be next.

I am not promoting any of these efforts above, just bringing them to light, and I don't recommend that you support any.  I choose to recognize and support the actions of the AMA by being a member, by being represented.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

HappyMan

I agree with your statements.  We need to unite.  I'm fighting this battle in WI over off road riding.  It's insane.  We've been outlawed because we haven't any unification as a group while snowmobiles and ATV's have organized and have rights.  It's what interested me in the AMA and why I posted but the remarks of the customers above speak volumes.  Hard to ignore the fact that they are unhappy.  Good intentions or not if they aren't accomplishing anything tangible are you are supporting the AMA on principle alone?  If they are only an organization that has the aura of doing what we would like them to do but not accomplishing it then supporting them isn't helping our cause.  It just giving us the false hope that something is being done for us when it's not.

Feel free to argue on their behalf as no one else has and the negative comments may not be a fair representation of who the AMA is.  I'm still listening.  Thanks for your comments.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

Well said, Katoomon.  Perhaps this warrants further review...

paulie

i guess my take is that the AMA is to motorcycles like AOPA(aircraft owners and pilots association) is to pilots.

though there are definite differences. I would venture to guess that AOPA has fewer members, but i have no way to know other than my feeling that theres way more motocyclists than pilots in this country. but as an organization, AOPA is absolutely great at keeping their members appraised of what the organization is doing, what legislation is out there, and what they are doing to combat said legislation.

i'm a newly minted AMA member, and their methods are yet to be proven to me. however, i believe we have power in numbers. i will continue to support the AMA until they prove themselves unworthy of my money.
definitely a little leary when i read about the new AMA president cleaning house. definitely not the way to maintain morale amongst tenured employees. but if it makes the organization better, than i say so be it. only time will tell i suppose.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

paulie

Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

abruzzi

I thought AMA just did that cheesy safety booklet that comes with your new bike.

(Actually, in the last year, that booklet has been revamped, and no longer looks like it was written in the '70s.  I got a nicer one with my 2008 Bonnie.)

Geof

HappyMan

Quote from: "paulie"more fuel for the fire!  :evil:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301520

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301308
r

That was very good reading.  Thanks for the post and links.  Seems I'm not the only one to ask such questions....

katoomon

Quote from: "HappyMan"Good intentions or not if they aren't accomplishing anything tangible are you are supporting the AMA on principle alone?  If they are only an organization that has the aura of doing what we would like them to do but not accomplishing it then supporting them isn't helping our cause.  It just giving us the false hope that something is being done for us when it's not.

Feel free to argue on their behalf as no one else has and the negative comments may not be a fair representation of who the AMA is.  I'm still listening.  Thanks for your comments.

While tangible results are lacking, at least there is an organization that summarizes issues that threaten riders, and offers a way to contact your legislative representative.  That service is free to anyone that visits the site, not just members.  The positive thinking that permeates most things I do, causes me to go about my day thinking support will improve the situation; if not, I will choose not to support the AMA.  If the new stated direction and focus of  the AMA core mission is real, then all motorcyclists will have some representation and will benefit by the legislative watchdog pressure.

My primary reason does not apply to most people.  I grew up racing off-road, and membership was required.  Nowadays, I register as a racer (but no longer compete) because the notarized waiver required with a racing membership allows track and pit access at racing events or volunteer work as a flagger.  I also belong to a dual sport riding club that is an AMA Charter club and member of the District 36 Road Division.  The club puts on an annual ride.  The proceeds from that event sustains the club and the club makes local charitable contributions that do make a difference.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

Mudhen

I became a member a few years ago because I had to in order to take part in one of their dual-sport charity rides.  I keep upping my membership because people closing riding areas pisses me off.  The snowmobilers out here united a long time ago and they have TONS more terrain to ride than we do - even on state lands...old railroad beds and such.  A lot of them are completely closed to ATVs/bikes yet open to snowmobiles.

All because we had no voice.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Most , if not all the riding areas that are shut down to atv/bike use but are open to snowmobiles are PRIVATE LANDand there isn't a thing AMA can do about it .
The big problems with atv/ dirt bike s are :
!. unsupervised 15 year olds that have no respect for others property

2. LOUD exhausts don't save lives they close riding areas !

3. Playing in the mud bogs and water crossings make a real mess of the private landowners land , damage that usually remains permanent .
Why do you think the State areas Tell you to stay dry or stay home !

4. 4 wheel drive trucks are probably right up at the #1 reason they really tear up soft muddy ground .

Snowmobilers can get away with their trail systems on private land because , yes they have organized  , the state of NH even gives them a break on registration as long as they belong to a club .

Damage to private land is very minimal when you consider the terrain they ride on is non existant after the season ends . It melts !

Most landowners are INSIDE where it is warm watching the boob tube instead of outside where they can hear you and see you !

And let's face it the Northern states cater to the snomo crowd for the almighty tourist $$$$.

and we are just a bunch of derelect motorcycle riding hoodlums ! :shock:  :lol:  :roll:  :twisted:

HockleyBoy

I can see the point about snowmobiles and land usage but still feel that wherever possible motorcyclists should be members of one of the major organisations (BMF or MAG here in the UK) so that they can exert political pressure when needed.
I am not saying these organisations are always effective but at least they can make the politicians sit up an take notice when they realise how many votes they may lose with their often anti motorcyle legislation.
Non membership may show you are free spirited etc but in my opinion also gives the impression of apathy and allows legislators worldwide to chip away at motorcycling.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mudhen

I agree Mustang.

The big thing that pisses me off about it is people buying a piece of property on a nice class VI road and closing it down illegally.  Or legally by going to the town and pushing to have it designated as something other than class VI so nobody can use it.

Maine is really pushing to get more mileage for ATVs opened up and linked up for the same reason - tourist dollars.  They had a big study done a couple years ago and were trying to get half the mileage that the snowmobilers had for summer motorized use.  But right now it's all based on individual clubs.

And a lot of the land here in Maine is paper company owned...so no bikes.  That would really suck...a nice statewide system of trails we can't use...

This is a good article:  http://www.atvillustrated.com/?q=node/977
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Mudhen
sounds like maine has almost the same exact scenario as NH paper co= no bikes  and the southern half of the state has become so populated that it is impossible to link any sort of dirt trails together for more than 20 miles if that .

HappyMan

I'm still listening.  Sounds like the AMA has some good points but I have not joined.  I will continue to consider it though.  Thanks for all the input.

droopydawg

Even though a person maynot care for what the AMA is trying to do....you get a good monthly magazine and worthwile discounts from BikeBandit and hotel/KOA discounts...making the cost of membership worth it...if for nothing else.  The membership does pay for itself.
I buy parts for my other 7 bikes, so for me, the discount on parts over a year pays for my membership. I stay at the KOA when I travel, and have something to read while hanging out at the KOA pool.
Yes, discount on insurance...progressive I think, but I go through Dairyland/Sentry anyway. Roadside Assistance.....Just look through the site. http://www.ama-cycle.org/

If I owned only one bike, and did not travel on it, I may not have joined up either.