News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cold Ride

Started by Bliker, January 22, 2008, 11:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Quote from: "Stretch"

I don't think that's street legal.....but I should definitely do that to my DR650!  What size screw is that?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

Beats me.  #8 or #10, maybe.  Length depends on the depth of the knobs.  I certainly wouldn't go much longer than 1/2".

HappyMan

Quote from: "Stretch"Beats me.  #8 or #10, maybe.  Length depends on the depth of the knobs.  I certainly wouldn't go much longer than 1/2".

Well, as long as you've got some time would you mind running out to your bike with a screw gun and a 1/2" and report back to me if it leaks?  :roll:

Stretch

Okay, 3/8 then.  Either way, mine won't leak.  I'm running new TKC's.  :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I was just thinking out loud.  Again, screw length would depend on the depth of the knobs.

pit0rz

I used to do a lot of ice riding in my younger days on my beloved IT250.  We used 1 1/2" screws which meant cutting a liner to go inside the tire.  Without the longer screws the IT would just hurl screws all over the place because of TOO much traction.  Yea, it's a hoot.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

pit0rz

These 'Pro Gold' screws have the deep V cut in the top and are VERY sharp.  I guess I used the 1" with the liner.  Shorter ones on the Tri-Z.  Ahh, memories.  :lol:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Stretch

Quote from: "pit0rz"I used to do a lot of ice riding in my younger days on my beloved IT250.  We used 1 1/2" screws which meant cutting a liner to go inside the tire.  Without the longer screws the IT would just hurl screws all over the place because of TOO much traction.  Yea, it's a hoot.

Okay, I see now.  The screws go through the tire and into the liner, but not through it.  You have to run tubes...

My Google-Fu is strong tonight.

pit0rz

Correct, we used to use cheap old street tires to make the liners.  Cut off the sides so the finished width was a nice tight fit inside the outer tire.  then the screws go through the outer tire and into the liner snugging it all up.  And yes, tubes are a must, even if the rim is a tubeless type (We set up an Old FJ1200 with a side hack for ice riding.  Now THAT was some real fun.  I got tossed off of the hack so many times it hurts just thinking about it.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Quote from: "pit0rz"Correct, we used to use cheap old street tires to make the liners.  Cut off the sides so the finished width was a nice tight fit inside the outer tire.  then the screws go through the outer tire and into the liner snugging it all up.  And yes, tubes are a must, even if the rim is a tubeless type (We set up an Old FJ1200 with a side hack for ice riding.  Now THAT was some real fun.  I got tossed off of the hack so many times it hurts just thinking about it.

Got any pics of that rig?  I'd love to see some of that.  Better yet, video!

Advwannabe

Riding a tippy girl like Tigger with studs in the ice would be fun....

I've managed a -6C ride in Canberra, But I think that would only be @ 20F. Still pretty cool for Oz.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

pit0rz

Quote from: "HappyMan"
Quote from: "pit0rz"Correct, we used to use cheap old street tires to make the liners.  Cut off the sides so the finished width was a nice tight fit inside the outer tire.  then the screws go through the outer tire and into the liner snugging it all up.  And yes, tubes are a must, even if the rim is a tubeless type (We set up an Old FJ1200 with a side hack for ice riding.  Now THAT was some real fun.  I got tossed off of the hack so many times it hurts just thinking about it.

I might have some old pics, this was roughly 15 yrs ago.  Sadly no video.  My bud still has the bike and the hack although it hasn't been started since that time.  Lake is frozen, maybe I can convince him of dragging it out of his garage for a reunion run?  I'll ask him but he'll have to find a younger assistant for the balast.  I'm not getting on that hack again, that's for sure.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Quote from: "pit0rz"
Quote from: "HappyMan"

I might have some old pics, this was roughly 15 yrs ago.  Sadly no video.  My bud still has the bike and the hack although it hasn't been started since that time.  Lake is frozen, maybe I can convince him of dragging it out of his garage for a reunion run?  I'll ask him but he'll have to find a younger assistant for the balast.  I'm not getting on that hack again, that's for sure.

blacktiger

2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

HappyMan

Quote from: "blacktiger"You lot are MAD!

When I regain my sanity just shoot me....