News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake maintenance questions - '98 w/ 48K miles

Started by MontanaBBQ, February 13, 2008, 09:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MontanaBBQ

Greetings!  I visit often but never post, so please bear with me.

I'm starting into a 48000 mile service on my '98.  Previous maintenance has included changing/bleeding the brakes/clutch fluid and replacing brake pads all around.  I have never replaced the brake and clutch hoses as recommended in the service manual.  Nor have I renewed the brake and clutch master cylinders, clutch slave cylinder, or the caliper pressure and dust seals.  

Are you guys doing all of these recommended services?  Do I really need to replace all of the lines and renew the master cylinders?  One of the guys at Baxter didn't think all of this was really necessary since I have good braking performance and no leaks.  

Thanks for the input,

Doug B.
Billings, Montana

JetdocX

I just replaced all my brake lines with custom-made Galfer stainless braided brake hoses and clutch hose.  I think it was a good idea for my peace of mind.  The old lines were ten years old.  I got great service from Cyclebrakes.com.  No affiliation other than buying all my brake lines there for other bikes and always getting descent service.

It's your call.
From parts unknown.

MontanaBBQ

JetDocX,

Thanks for the heads up on cyclebrakes.com.  Did they have the specs to provide lines for a '98, or did you have to provide them info?  Is there a specific person at cyclebrakes I should talk to?  I talked to Galfer directly the other day, but they weren't any help with lines (only rotors and pads).

I gather you replaced the lines, but didn't renew the master cylinders or calipers?  I haven't found an aftermarket source for this stuff, but I'm sure it's out there.

The work you've done at 24K is pretty much what I'm up to - without the suspension mods (I did those before).  I even have some new Nology coils for the beast...

Thanks,
Doug B.

JetdocX

I'm on the road right now, but I can get you my measurements for the brake lines as they had no measurements for our Tiggers when I get back home.  

I'll PM them to you?  Please remind me if I forget.  Sometimes the sheeite hits the fan around here and I forget about aything non-airplane related. :wink:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

I did not reseal the master cylinders because I was planning on a brake overhaul later.  Getting the air out of the lines is quite the undertaking.  Be patient.
From parts unknown.