News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Drive Chain Tension

Started by alf885, February 13, 2008, 08:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alf885

My handbook suggests between 35 - 40 mm free vertical movement at the tightest spot. Is that sufficient? I have heard mention of the fact that an over tight chain can cause gear selection problems. Any hints and tips? alf

Stretch

The suggested adjustment listed in the manual is a bit tight.  The chain slack decreases as the suspension is compressed, so riding two-up over terrain that compresses the suspension with a tight chain essentially makes the chain the one part that limits the suspension travel.  This will stretch your chain in spots (making loose spots in the chain) and put one hell of a lot of strain on the front sprocket and countershaft bearing.  You don't want to do that to your engine.

I weigh 220 pounds ATGATT and do a bit of off-roading (and I love jumping over train tracks when riding with Harley-mounted friends), so I loosen 'er up to 70-80mm total vertical movement.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Stretch"so I loosen 'er up to 70-80mm total vertical movement.

That's a bit loose for normal riding. Most would suggest around 50mm / 2"
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

flux

So, that answers that.  I had my tension to Triumph specs for last weekend's thousand mile ride to FL and back and I just KNEW by looking at it that the recommended tension was not enough.  I'll have to loosen it before this weekend.

Chris Canning

The manual is a nonsense,the real way to check if it's right,is to sit on it and lean down and check the tension with your finger,the reality is,you need more play in the chain for two up riding as opposed to one.

First tiger i had, set it up for me it was fine,two up it was like a banjo string(because i beleaved the book!!)on the rare occasion i ride one up,the slack in the chain does no harm,but if i was going a distance i'd ajust it accordingly.

alf885

Checked tension today and seems OK, there's a little more play than the manual advises, about 2 inches. So, I'll leave well alone, thanks for the help and replies. alf

aebbern

It's worth noting that there is a discrepancy in the way to check the chain tension between the owners manual (wrong way) and the service manual (right way).  

Owners manual (for my '02 Tiger) says to check for 30-40 mm free-play with wheel completely unloaded, while the factory service manual states to have the bike on the sidestand.  If you follow the owners manual method, the chain will be way too tight when you sit on the bike.  

Cheers,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200