News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

nology coils

Started by aeronca, February 29, 2008, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

:iagree and don't be suprised to find one with too much clearance i've seen em do that too !

aeronca

ok mustang my back east brother, i got a pick up coil on order from bike bandit, and a trio of "nology" coils as well. i hope this will do the trick. if not im gunna fly out to boston-logan and pick you and maybe mudhen up and fly you back to seattle and you can show wtf i doing wrong (flyings one of the perks of workin for an airline). as a mechanic I HATE TO FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i will press on.  save me from the versys and weestrom i test rode yesterday( all though the versys is waaaayyyyyyy better than weestrom. kick ass engine)   thanks for all your help - keepyou all posted.
eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

That's the spirit ! you know you won't be happy with a bike that does'nt have a little bit of "character "
steamers rule

when you put on the new coils make sure the wires clip on tight and if they are kinda loosy goosy squeeze the connector shut with some needle nose until they fit nice and snug on the spades to the coils

and while you have the fairing and tank off already check the valve clearances it only takes a few minutes and the valve cover is easy to get at now that the tank is already off .

cascadetiger

If it were me, and it might be me with my 98 Tiger, I would decide if  overall the bike is sound and how much I liked it.  If I decide its worth keeping, I would systematically go through and replace parts until the problem is solved.  This assumes the money is available.  Then, at the end, there is hopefully a reliable bike to ride.  

If all the issues aren't dealt with up front, you'll get down on the bike because it quits at the worst time.

aeronca

well - $275.00 got me 3 igniter coils and 1 pick up coil. 1/3 (or more) less than triumph. i feel like kicking my self in the nuts after spending all that money at the dealer. the 3 coils were $194.97 shipped (thats only $50.00 more than 1 coil frome the dealer) and the pick up coil out of bikebandit.com was $71.84 + $7.95 shipping. i sure hope this fixes it. hey mustang, what part of new hampshire you livin in?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

13 miles from LACONIA

aeronca

oh yeah, good time at bike. :twisted:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Lately as I get older I tend to avoid the crowds of bike week at Laconia . Although last year the crowd was greatly reduced in size , I think gas price shock was too much for most harleys to ride in the back of a p/u to Laconia .

Back on topic , when you put those coils on you relly should check clearances on the valves it is easy to check them and you need to see at least .004 clearance under the intakes . and the exhausts should be minimum .006 . If you have any intakes that are less than .002 , this could be part of the problem you are having as it will run great cold but not so good an hour later .

On the other hand the new coils are going to make the bike just plain crisper and HAPPY . There will also be no more 4000 rpm dropouts .

I wish you could hear how nice mine barks to life after getting Nology's and a good tune up (valve shims and carb sync) .
Where in WA are you near , I am taking a major trip leaving next month , eary april . and doing a grand loop around the USA and plan on coming up the coast toward Seattle and then cut across at some point towards Boise and then into Montana . Would love to stop in for a chat and a cold one .

aeronca

sorry i ment bike week. long night at work.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

ok, just got my trio o coils in the mail today and will install tomorrow. still waiting for the pick up coil - soon. i hope this will work. will all so adjust the valves. oh yea, mustang,  im 25 miles north of seattle. if you come this way, we'll get beeeeeeers.( or wine). :occasion14
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

well, so far so good. i havent recieved the pick up coil yet but threw on the trio of nology's and WOW!!!  even when it was running good, it never responded like it does now ( im knocking on woooooood)  i hope it stay's like this. as soon as the the other coil come's in i'll put it on and i hope this is it for ignition problems.  now on to the valves, but that will be another thread.   thanks mustang.                                                         i think i'll call the cyclebarn and see if they'll take back this shitty gill coil they sold me 2 months ago (yea right :ImaPoser )
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

cascadetiger

Cool!  Its nice to see a happy ending.

aeronca

cascade, have you been out on your bike? i come through there (issaqua) every once and a while, but have never spied your mount. maybe this summer we could meet up for a burger at the xxx (its a burger shop - really :D ), and any one else with a tiger.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

You guys talking about meeting at the XXX and happy endings is starting to freak me out.  Maybe that's why my company has shut off tigertriple...

Guess I'm going to sign up for these coils as well.  42k miles on my stockers so it's probably time.

Thanks for all the info guys.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Mudhen
These are on ebay right now and they are the correct ones for a steamer even though he only lists them for the bonnevilles .
The price is $58 bucks buy it now . best price I have seen on them ever !

Triumph gets 125 bucks for the POS Gil coils . These are made in Germany by PVL and they kick ass !
They are true plug and play , nothing needs modifying . You need three of em .

Heres the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOLOGY-PROFIRE-TRIUMPH-COIL-PFC-06TS-SINGLE-OUT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35594QQihZ021QQitemZ310009084686QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V