News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

chain change

Started by miltos, March 15, 2008, 02:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miltos

Hi guys! Just a thought & question...
Want to change the chain and sprockets, instead of dealer visit is it possible to remove back wheel, chain off,sprockets off, put new things on, allign wheel ...and job done!?? OR i shouldn't try the above??

What you think is it going to work with back wheel removal...??
Thank you!
always Triumph

JetdocX

What kind of Tiger?
From parts unknown.

miltos

Tiger 2003 955i, sorry forgot to mention!
always Triumph

JetdocX

Use an aftermarket chain like DID for instance.  You will need a chain tool and chain rivetter.

A center stand makes this job very easy. :wink:
From parts unknown.

katoomon

Quote from: "JetdocX"Use an aftermarket chain like DID for instance.  You will need a chain tool and chain rivetter.

A center stand makes this job very easy. :wink:

A chain without a master link (stock configuration) is sometimes called an endless chain.  A master link makes field repairs or  service easier; but, could be a liability if it comes apart while riding. Be sure to run the master link clip in the proper direction, read docs with new chain if you don't rivet.

Lateral Hijack:
How many Tiger riders run a master link vs. re-riveting the chain?

Do you carry extra links and chain tool(s) on the trail or in remote locations?
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

Mustang

Both of our Tigers have been running clip type links since the first chain change , approx 75k worth of miles with no issues .

JetdocX

I bought the Motion Pro chain tool so now all my master links will be rivetted.

I could not find a clip-type link for my new DID chain so I had to buck up.  :x
From parts unknown.

oldrider

There is an 02 Tiger sitting in my shed, belongs to a friend who has ridden it all over New Zealand and Australia. (mostly unsealed back roads)

He rides it fast and hard but otherwise treats it like a lady.

I noticed that he has a "clipped" chain joint on it.

When I asked him how long has it been on, he said all the time that he has owned it!

I guess it's just a personal choice thing.   8)  Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "miltos"put new things on, allign wheel ...and job done!?? OR i shouldn't try the above??

What you think is it going to work with back wheel removal...??
Thank you!

... don't forget to TORQUE the rear axle nut.

Bad experience: I had a Triumph dealer change out a rear tire for me while I was on a trip.  After some poor handling on Monarch Pass at a ton+, I found out the rear tire was 12 pounds low on air, and the rear axle was not torqued.  My mistake for assuming that the meth-head freak "mechanic" actually did his job...
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"Both of our Tigers have been running clip type links since the first chain change , approx 75k worth of miles with no issues .

Can you get these for X ring chains?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JetdocX

I could not.  No matter, I like the idea of a rivetted link better than clip.  I've lost a few clips on previous bikes.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Mustang"Both of our Tigers have been running clip type links since the first chain change , approx 75k worth of miles with no issues .

Can you get these for X ring chains?
DID x ring came with both types of master links and I usually use RK racing x ring chains w/ the nickle plated sideplates on my tiger and it comes with both rivet and clip type .