News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacing rear brake pads - advice wanted

Started by Jacqueslemac, March 25, 2008, 02:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueslemac

At 15,000 miles, there is absolutely no pad left at all, so I'm in the process of changing the rear brake shoes.

Taking the old ones out was easy, but the rear pistons had seized. I think I've got them freed up now, but they won't retract far enough to let me slide the new pads in. There's no way I'm going to get the assembly back onto the rear disc.

I've tried putting a screwdriver between the old pads and levering them apart, but they pistons still won't retract far enough.

Any suggestions, please?

Silverstripes

When I did mine some 3 weeks back had the same problem. The solution was to clean the exposed pistons and then I used am old vice with thin jaws to "Clamp" the pistons back into the caliper.

I then applied the brake again and repeated the clamping exercise to get the pistons moving  and all was well.

I does take some pressure to get them back in and you want to do both at the same time or one will go in and the other come out further. Also worth taking the top off of the brake master cylinder. This is located behind the side panel, as fluid will return to this cylinder when you push the pistons in.

Good luck

Stretch

Yes, make sure the pistons are clean and shiney before pressing them back into the caliper.  Forcing dirty, rusty pistons back in will ruin the soft rubber seals, and they will start leaking brake fluid.

But once the pistons are cleaned, Channellock pliers or similar slip-joint pliers can be used (with several layers of cloth rags to protect and pad the pistons and caliper) to gently press the pistons back into the caliper.

Like this, but different.  :mrgreen:
Be sure to protect the caliper and pistons from the pliers' serrated jaws.

cbxtc6

Also check your rear wheel seals while you're at it.  Mine were worn pretty bad @13k.  They're cheap (~$12/set) and easy to replace.

JetdocX

Make sure your brake reservoir has enough empty space to account for the fluid you need to displace by pushing the pistons back.

And you are probably overdue for a brake fluid flush so you might as well do this now.
From parts unknown.