News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni or Keihin?

Started by London_Phil, April 09, 2008, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi All.
Just a general query on preferences for carbs. I am in the lucky position of having a set of either  to fit to my '96 Tiger. They are both from Tigers, and the Mikunis are fitted, but jetting and balancing aside, any idea which are preferred?
I wonder why they changed  to Keihins, when my manual says 4-cylinder bikes still use Mikunis
My bike is a UK spec, and pretty standard
Over to you, all thoughts welcome!!

Mustang

the mikunis have a better midrange pull but the keihins get better gas mileage .
Otherwise they act identical , I have a 95 with mikunis and a 98 with keihins .

kdog37217

I put 35K miles on a 96 Steamer w/ Mikunis. They wear out the emulsion tubes about every 15K miles, and start to run rich and get poor mileage.

If you choose Mikuni, make sure you replace the e-tubes before installing carbs. About $25/ea X 3, from Factory Pro Tuning.

Mine had a jet kit. I got anywhere from 35-40mpg depending on conditions.

I have read that the Keihin bikes get better mileage, and do not have the emulsion tube issue, but would defer to someone who has had one.

Good luck,
Kevin in Nashville
I\'ve planned the route where no day is more than 288 miles...

JetdocX

I have Kehin on my 98, but have had no carb issues to report.  The bike was re-jetted by the PO.  Not enough experience with the carbs to really post here.  Sorry! :oops:

I rebuilt the Mikuni carb on my 650 jetski once.  I still fooked that one up. :lol:

My Steamer gets around 35-38 MPG but I smell it running rich.  Except in DV last Saturday where I had A TON OF POWER at -200 feet MSL. 8)
From parts unknown.

Mustang

JetDocX
If you are only getting 35-40 mpg your tiger with Keihin carbs is set way too fookin rich .
In Nh I am basically sea level to 1000 ft and my 98 has been bumped up 1 size on the main jets to (if I recall correctly )100  for mains and the pilot screws are set at 2 1/4 turns and I am nailing 45 mpg with it geared down , constantly . if I chuff along at 55 mph I get 55 mpg !Even with it geared down  :shock:

JetdocX

I currently live at 4500 feet.  I can ride from sea level to 10,000 feet in a day around here.  I'm waiting for the boss to tell me to move to the Bay area (sea level).  Right now too much fuel is not going to hurt my engine, but lean mixtures can.

I guess I should go see my pal with the gas analyzer...  :? I'd like to get it checked at sea level just to be on the safe side, but I'm never there for more than a few miles.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

that gas mileage is pathetic though you should at least be in the low 40's