News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started 1st time but not second

Started by hobie, April 04, 2008, 02:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobie

I took my 98 out of storage on Saturday, put in the newly charged battery, and it started the instant I hit the ignition first time.  I let it run for a few minutes, but not too long as I know it has very little gas in it.  I didn't ride because I was still a bit sore from minor surgery.

On Wednesday, feeling somewhat better, I thought I'd just go fill up the tank.  I hit the ignition, and nothing, not even a click, or a turning over.  The headlights are still strong, I checked all the fuses, and pulled the ignition switch cover off to check for spiders (got one).  Still nothing.  

Any ideas what this could be?
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

Dr. Mordo

The absolute first thing I would do is put a multi-meter on the battery to see how many volts is is pushing.  It it's less that 12-13v you've found your culprit.  To produce no sound at all it'll have to be really dead, but I think still might light the lights pretty strongly.  It is also the most likely thing to have failed.

Then I'd check to make sure I hadn't shaken a wire loose while messing around with the bike.

Then I'd take a look at the sidestand switch and the cutoff switch to make sure they are working like the should.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Is it in gear with the sidestand down?  Is the kill switch in the no runnie position.  I've never done anything this silly, of course but I know it happens...to other people..... :roll:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

cascadetiger

I would second the opinion that the sidestand switch is not working.  Thats the first place I would look.

hobie

The bike is on centre stand with the side-stand up.  The neutral light is on.  Could the switch still be the culprit if there is something wrong with it?
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

JetdocX

No, the sidestand switch is out of the picture when the bike is in neutral.  The kill switch will not let you crank it though...at all. :wink:
From parts unknown.

hobie

I disassembled the kill switch, and tried to start with the switch removed.  Is this the correct approach?  I'm not sure if the kill switch kills when it makes contact or when it doesn't make contact.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

Mustang

Quote from: "hobie"I disassembled the kill switch, and tried to start with the switch removed.  Is this the correct approach?  I'm not sure if the kill switch kills when it makes contact or when it doesn't make contact.
the wiring diagram shows the kill switch as having 12volt power thru it for the three coils from key switch

there is also more to the kick stand switch than meets the eye ....follow the grey and white wire from the kickstand switch until you find a relay , the relay could be the culprit .

the deal with the kill switch is if it is preventing engine from running it also disable the starter motor .
you need to get a wiring diagram
if you still have the little owners manual that came with the bike there is one in the back of it ! :D

nightrunner

Just another thought here but there is a safety switch in the clutch lever too.   Also, check to see if the starter circuit has a fuse.  I can't recall.

Good luck.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"Just another thought here but there is a safety switch in the clutch lever too.   Also, check to see if the starter circuit has a fuse.  I can't recall.

Good luck.
yep and that little clutch switch hooks to the same little relay that the side stand switch as well as the neutral light switch too !

but yeah pull the clutch and see if it cranks , my bonneville works that way ever since the switch got "modified" :roll:

Stretch

Tried it with boos'er cables yet?  (Car not running)

hobie

Ok, Wed, and Thurs it wouldn't even click.  Today (Fri) I pulled the seat to check the battery voltage (12.68 V) and thought I'd give it another try.  It started first try.  I let it run a minute, shut it off, and it started again.  I decided to risk driving a block to the gas station to fill it up, and it started again when I left.  Is this spooky, or what?
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

Mustang

not too spooky that is how a stuck relay will act .....or a switch that has turned green with corrosion
usually though it's a relay that hangs up and then finally it works free  all a relay is  is a magnetic coil that opens a switched contact that usually returns closed from a spring

Stretch

Could be.  

I have an old Sunbeam Alpine (want it?) that sat for years before I bought it.  Practically none of the electrical system worked, but I got her running and started driving it around, flicking switches as I needed, and damned if they didn't start coming back to life.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"I have an old Sunbeam Alpine (want it?)

Cool.  I almost bought one of those a couple years back.  Can you still get parts?

Geof