News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

When to Change Coolant?

Started by FullMonte, April 08, 2008, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullMonte

The Tiger is in a buddy's shop for its 12K mile service.  I have the factory shop manual and it says nothing about when to change the original coolant. It just says to check it daily and top off when needed.:roll:  The bike is a 2005 with 13345 miles on it and I'm curious if this is something that should be done now or wait until 24k miles. :?:  It sat factory fresh (unridden) April, 2007 when it was sold to the first owner, who then sold it to me.  Thanks.

John Stenhouse

I think it's supposed to be every two years. Anti freeze starts to "wear out" after that.I change mine every three to four years though
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

FullMonte

I buttoned the bike back up this afternoon and left the original coolant inside until the next service.  I figured WTF, its only got a year of use.

blacktiger

AFAIK The effectiveness of the anti freeze decreases in line with the number of temperature cycles it goes through.  So "every two years" is an estimate of average use.
FWIW my advice is that if it's going to experience freezing conditions AFTER the two year period, I'd change it just to be safe.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.