News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Owner of 2006 in Texas - Couldn't be happier!!!

Started by jmurguia, April 21, 2008, 06:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurguia

Holyshit!  I knew I was buying a lot of bike, but this is one of the best kept secrets in the United States. The engine is a monster!!! THIS IS A RIGHT PROPER MOTORCYCLE!

Here's my quick story: Spent last 8 years on DR650 with trips to Mexico (10 yrs prior on Seca 750 & 900) I bought a used '08 KLR650 in December.  DR's were a lot of fun and the KLR was great (so I thought until I rode my Tiger home yesterday).  I rode the KLR to Guanajuato, Mexico 3 weeks ago and we made it back in one day (almost 8oo miles). It did well, but under powered & poor seat AND BURNED OIL!  Kawasaki said 1 quart/1000 miles OK...BS on them, so I sold it Thursday.

Found a 2006 Tiger east of Dallas, Tx. and bought it cash, never rode one and never test rode this one.  My father in-law drove with me and I rode it home, almost 300 miles.  My god, this is an AMAZING BIKE.  It has the Staintune and is as fast (if not faster) than my '01 Bandit 1200.  I arrived as fresh and happier than ever. Incredible long distance mount...

Two questions:
1.  Low fuel indicator on at 165 miles and ran out of gas at 200 miles on the interstate south of Austin! (Father in law had a good laugh). I had the hard luggage on and going into a steady wind at @ 70 - 75 mph.
Average miles per gallon in low 30's...is this what I can expect? I used Premium fuel...(It has 11,300 miles...will 12,000 service improve mpg?)  

2. Staintune is very loud (but beautiful), but has a baffle. I simply screwed it into place and hand tightened it. Is hand torque sufficient? Will I notice a change in power/delivery?

Overall, both issues are a small price to pay for such an amazing bike.  Now I'm worried about speeding tickets and finally earning my way to jail from commuting to work on my back tire (it's a wheelie monster)!?!

(Sorry such a long post, but I am really excited about what you knew all along...can't wait to hit the road this summer - PacificNorthwest + Banff)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm96 ... A71316.jpg
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

NortonCharlie

I've never got less than 40 mpg with my 01 955, usually 43 to 45.  I have gotten over 50 but not often.  So unless it was a serious head wind something isn't right.  Premium gas shouldn't make any difference.  89 is what is recommended.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

ridin gaijin

Um, my manual says 86 octane. I get near 50 mpg if I keep it at 55 - 60 mph. Worst I get is heavy traffic or sustained high-speed riding (75+), then it's around 42-ish.

Welcome! Sounds like you've got a fun summer planned!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

sanjoh

Welcome to the board and tiger ownership.

I recently came to the same conclusion as you on the tiger, it is an awesome bike.

Wait till you take it off road!
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

John Stenhouse

Silly question, I suppose you did brim fill it?

If so that's odd, worst I've got is low 40s, a tank usually lasts me 250 miles
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jmurguia

Thanks for the replies. Even in my euphoria, I did fill up before I left. I'm just hoping with 12,000 mile service it will improve some - regardless, it gets better mpg than my '05 Double Cab Toyota Taco! And 1000 x more fun!!!

Rode to work today - haven't had that much fun on the way to work...ever!

Learning a lot about the Tiger with this forum, so thanks...

So, anyone passing through San Antonio, you have place to stay - garage for your Tiger, warm shower, guest bedroom, good eats...just let me know...
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

pit0rz

Welcome!  Your bike looks great, love the color.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Congrats on the 06!!  Fantastic bike is right.  Unfortunately mine is in the shop right now but I'm sure all will be alright.  I've been driving my DR650 around while waiting for the repair, I love that DR, what a hoot!  Driving my Tiger to the shop though after riding my DR for the last week was euphoric.  The Tiger is nothing but grins.  When I pulled up to the service the guy smiled and said "a 955, yeah.  What an incredible bike.  Way nicer and more comfortable the the new Tiger and it's not like the 955 is lacking power."  All I could say was amen!  What a great bike.  As for gas mileage, I don't ride a bike for that so I've never checked it but my smiles per mile has worn a permanent grin on my face.  :D

Happy riding!!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

HockleyBoy

Enjoy the new bike! :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

diggerT

Glad you are enjoying the bike, I picked up an 03 with 2,500 miles on it last week and took it to Belgium and France for the weekend and have put another 500 miles on it. What a great machine!! I thought the Steamer was superb but this machine does everything, especially when there are mixed road surfaces. As much power as you need, great grip and a brilliant riding position for touring.

I have been thinking what I may need to buy to improve but can't think of anything yet

DiggerT

CvPiper

The throttle body sync will help mileage.
Be careful from people quoting mpg, yours is US Gallon, ours Imperial Gallon.
I get over 50 mpg all the time, with TOR Can, Luggage, pillion sometimes, and not hanging about.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

Stretch

Quote from: "diggerT"I have been thinking what I may need to buy to improve but can't think of anything yet

Crash bars.  With the price of that gas tank, they'll pay for themselves the very first time the bike tips over.

HockleyBoy

Stretch is right, if only I had fitted crash bars to mine early on. Oh well.......... :?
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport