News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Early Girly breather hose fix

Started by Old Desert Rat, April 23, 2008, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Desert Rat

I have searched the site and others for the best solution for the crankcase breather hose issue on early Girlies. To me it would seem that a small breather filter mounted high on the bike would be the best solution.

Posting this to try and get a consencus so I can do the fix this weekend.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!! :D
KTM 400SXC
1974 CR 125
1997 XT 225
1999 Yellow Girly

bahtiger

Your solution sounds like it should work just fine. Speaking as someone who lost a 2000 model to hydrolock and a stressed rod, I'm glad you're not ignoring the issue.

Stretch

Sounds viable.  The trouble with the factory hose route is that it breathes into the airbox... no problem as long as the bike remains upright.  But as any
long-time rider will attest, the natural disposition of any motorcycle is to become horizontal.

Once an older Tiger is on its side, the engine must be shut off immediately to avoid pumping oil into the airbox.  A few ounces of engine oil in the airbox
can be ingested into the engine once the bike is upright and restarted, resulting in weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Moving the end of the vent hose out of the airbox altogether effectively solves this problem, as the vent spews engine oil out into the air.  Be sure to run
a small filter on the end of the hose as Old Desert Rat says, and also block off the vent hose hole in the airbox.

Good mod there, Desert Rat.  This ought to save a few engines.

fano

Maybe  you could use a one way air valve on your vent hose and then rout it to your chain sprocket to oil the chain. Make sure to plug the air box. One way air valve will prevent water to get sucked in the engine. This is at least what I have done to my Husaberg.

Stretch

A capital idea!

Geez, I love the internet.

Old Desert Rat

Thanks for all the replies. Just got back in town from a work trip, will give it a go this weekend. Fano I like the idea/ I may not route it to oil the chain but use one and then put a filter on top.
KTM 400SXC
1974 CR 125
1997 XT 225
1999 Yellow Girly

TigerTrax

I'll vouch for that.

This is by far the best Tiger site...
fun, pissedoffedness is tolerated, and when you have a problem... someone is there to help.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Robbie

Quote from: fanoMaybe  you could use a one way air valve on your vent hose

Make sure to plug the air box. One way air valve will prevent water to get sucked in the engine. This is at least what I have done to my Husaberg.

the triple engine dose not suck like a single so the valve wouldn't be needed but it would look good.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Wiggus

I need to do this mod. Can someone post a picture, or just describe where the breather hose is (which side, how thick is it?). The manual just shows it floating, disembodied from the engine. I'm not even clear which side it's on.

Also, does the tank have to come off to do the mod?
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

Bixxer Bob

Tank needs to come off to do pretty much anything other than wash your Tiger, but it's no big deal once you've done it a couple of times - 15 mins max.

Once off, look under the right rear side of your airbox, all will become clear.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Wiggus

You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

Loops

Just make sure the tank is empty (or low) when you pull it.

Mighty heavy when full!!

Have a good weekend

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

iansoady

And staggering round a cluttered garage looking for somewhere big enough to put it down is no fun at all.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"And staggering round a cluttered garage looking for somewhere big enough to put it down is no fun at all.....

We've all been there... :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

kelpie_67

This was to be my first fix  - I'm thinking of taking out the airbox restrictor plate too, whilst I'm in there- anyone got any thoughts about this?
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?