News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition Switch Hardware

Started by WildeKurt, July 20, 2006, 05:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildeKurt

My ignition switch/fork lock cylinder has come loose.  It looks like there's a nut (6mm?)  missing but without taking a lot of stuff off I can't be sure.  Anyone know what should be there?

marko

The nut may well be missing.Mine came loose on my 05--common problem.If you stil have one left take it out and get a hex head replacement.The factory bolts cannot be re-tighned.I dont recall the size but you may be able to search and find out.
\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

tigerpa

ArizonaKid

Common problem. The OEM fasteners actually have a specially fashioned "nipple" sort of thing on them that I assume is used to install/remove them.  Maybe that's why they can't get them tight enough to stay in.  Some sort of anti-theft idea gone bad I suppose.  When I lost one of mine I used a very small socket to remove the other one and replaced both of them with standard hex key fasteners.  You can actually do it w/o removing anything else. . .  takes some dexterity, but it can be done.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Sofalofa2005

Damn, thanks for this post guys.... a coincidence as I was turning the key tonight and realised the ignition was wobbley, at first I though someone had tried to hotwire it  etc... had a look and exact same problem as above... came on here to see if anyone else had the problem! Cheers to you and the internet! Russ

iansoady

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Common problem. The OEM fasteners actually have a specially fashioned "nipple" sort of thing on them that I assume is used to install/remove them.  

Not sure if this applies to the Tiger but usually these are special bolts whose head breaks off when they're torqued up leaving the "nipple" you mention. IMO it's pointless as if someone's going to steal your bike (or car) they just smash the lock off anyway. It causes more problems for the legitimate owner than it ever soes for the thief.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tyrebyter

That type fastener is common to most automotive ignition switches and delays the careful thief about 12 microseconds. An average technician requires 5 seconds with a small chisel and hammer to loosen them. They are truely pointless from a security perspective but ammusing to watch someone encounter them for the first time.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

HockleyBoy

I have just eexperience this problem with my 05, I noticed that the  ignition/steering lock were a little loose. I had a look only to find one bolt missing and the other sheared off. Am hoping to get away with just replacing one.

I just posted this as it's worth checking yours and this thread was very useful to me.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport