News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ALASKA

Started by Hooligan, May 02, 2008, 07:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooligan

I rode up to Alaska two years ago. I ended up at Deadhorse / Prudhoe Bay (on the Arctic ocean) where I turned around and headed back down.

Since returning I have been thinking of going back again.

I am considering returning in the summer of 09.

If any one else is interested in joining let me know......We could meet in BC at the start of the Alaska Hwy.
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Stretch

I did it last year, and daydream about it all the time.  

When I retire, I'm going to do a ride similar to the one you show there... Key West to Deadhorse and back to Georgia.

(sigh)

John Stenhouse

I'm starting from about where your first loop is in two weeks time  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

AK Tiger

It's going to happen but it will be the summer of '10.  I've made the trek twice; once on a Tiger, once on a GS.  This time will be on another Tiger. Like you, I'll be riding from Prudhoe to Key West, FL.    

I need to be in Sanford, FL on July 18.  Figure about 12 days from Prudhoe to Key West and another day from Key West to Sanford puts me (us?) arriving in Prudhoe on July 5.  I'll be riding up from So. Cal.  Work for you?
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

TigerTrax

2+ Riders making plans to ride to Alaska from MidWest USA in late July/early Aug. Ride up enter from East over to Fairbanks ( Pruhoe Bay is
???; Wife flys in to Anchorage we see the sites by bike for 4 days; Ferry
down to Vancouver; Ride the Cascades, Tetons home to Nebraska.

At the moment 3 riders with a couple more 'mulling'.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

zombie

I'm going back too but heading down to san diego from prudhoe and over thru texas and back up to massachusetts and 2010 is it

DobroDog

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Wife flys in to Anchorage we see the sites by bike for 4 days; Ferry
down to Vancouver; Ride the Cascades, Tetons home to Nebraska.

At the moment 3 riders with a couple more 'mulling'.

I talked with a couple of guys who recommend taking the Ferry ride on the front half of the trip.  Ferry schedules are tight and space is limited; if you are not there to load on time it may be 2-3 days to catch the next ferry. They constantly thought about the ferry schedule during their ride; and in AK... fecal matter happens and schedules have to be adjusted.

Enjoy the ride and let us know about it...my AK trip is in 2010

Tim
DobroDog

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "DobroDog"I talked with a couple of guys who recommend taking the Ferry ride on the front half of the trip.  

Having ridden the ferry many times I can say it is often full - if you're in a cage or want a room. There's usually room for a bike or 2 - especially if you call a few days in advance to make a reservation - they do have phone in some areas of Alaska. I'm sure if you called the "official" reservation sytem (there are also private companies doing reservations) they will confirm this.

I prefer taking the ferry South - You will apppreciate Alaska way more if you earn getting there. Be sure to stop in Liard on your way up.
Bruin\'

AK Tiger

Ahhhh, Laird Hot Springs.  A +1 on that stop!  Nothing feels better than a good soakin' in the hot springs after several days in the saddle.

If you're coming up the Alaska Highway, be VERY CAREFUL of large critters on the road about 90 miles north of Fort Nelson, BC.  They're big and will run onto the road from the bush without warning.  Don't ask how I know... :shock:
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Take your wife down the Kenai peninsula to Homer, well worth the trip
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

AK Tiger

If you're going to Homer, you HAVE to go to Seward.  A much nicer place to visit, IMHO.  Since you're in Seward, you also should go to Exit Glacier. It's only 8 miles off the Seward Highway and it's a BEAUTIFUL ride ... all paved too.  

If you go up the Cassier Highway, a stop in Hyder is in order.  It's another drop-dead beautiful ride.  It's about an 80 mile round trip but well worth it.

Which ever way you go and no matter where you go in Alaska, be dang sure your rain gear is in good shape.  It's not a question IF it will rain, but HOW LONG will it CONTINUE to rain.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Take your wife down the Kenai peninsula to Homer, well worth the trip

Ahh Homer; my old home. Be sure to stop in Anchor Point (best fishing anywhere) on your way down and have an El Gordo at the Blue Bus - You better be hungry.

I think Homer is way better than Seward, you gotta do both. Seward is gray and rainy most of the time, Homer is rarely.
Bruin\'

Gary

I am interested & just sent a copy of your map asking my boss for a month off, really! I need to do this before too much more time gets past me.
 I am in central ID. Would go due North into BC out the top of ID?
 Have been accross the USA & into CAN a few years ago 2 up with a young son. This would be solo. Presently on an 05' Tiger, this could change to something else by then? Very well equipped for camping off the bike or ?
 Lets discuss this a bit? Thanks, Gary. :XXsunsmile

TheMule

Hooligan,

I did a shortened version of this trip two years ago from Southern Ut on my TW. I took a little different route than most. Here's a link to a RR from my trip. I also have a GPS track if you're interested. If you want more info PM me. Looking to go again in the next three years.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... aska+tw200

have fun,

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825