News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Neduro's Tire-Changing Class

Started by Stretch, May 19, 2008, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Then you need a bigger... wait.

Nevermind.

Stretch

Quote from: "HappyMan"A good thing considering you just tweaked your back.  

I'm forever tweaking my back... I have a lot of leverage working against me.  And for some reason, I simply can't get into my head that I'm not 25 anymore, and that I shouldn't try to lift ____________.

Weight training and exercise is key, but I'm slowly going to shit regardless.

HappyMan

I know the feeling.  I think we are generally the same age (42) and I beat the crap out of myself in my younger years and I'm payin' like Hell now.  I did have fun though...... :D
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Dr. Mordo

I used a big C-clamp to help break the bead on my 96's rear wheel, but I remember it still being a pain.  That said, I actually enjoy changing the tires on my bike.

I did my Tiger's rear wheel with a C-clamp, three prybars and some armor all (lube).  It can be done.  The big thing is to remember to compress the opposing side of the new tire when you put it on so you'll have a hair more slack to help with that last little bit, and to use plenty of lube during all stages of the operation.  

Also, watch this:
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

pizzaman383

On the first long trip with my tiger I got a nail in my tire.  Thankfully, the prior week I'd read Neduro's thread.  I'd carried tire irons and a spare tube with me on the trip.  I changed the tube at the Cherohala Cycle Resort with 50 KLR guys watching.  I looked like a pro but it's all due to Neduro!  We used the leg of a picnic table to break the bead (with two guys bouncing on the picnic bench).  

I'm a big fan of Dynabeads.  I've now changed both the front and the back of the Tiger and I'm running Dynabeads in both.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

abruzzi

A couple of low budget bead breakers:

or

Finally a two-parter:

Necessity is mother of invention, but no one know the father so invention must be a bastard...

Geof

Dr. Mordo

That last one is pretty funny.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

EvilBetty

Two questions :)

How do you keep from marring your wheels with the tire levers?

and...

All the pictures seem to be taking little care with the rotors.  Reading the service manual leads you to believe they should be kept in a vacuum sealed vault while performing these operations.  Looks like they have the rims supported on 2x4's when doing all of this.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

matttys

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Two questions :)

How do you keep from marring your wheels with the tire levers?

and...

All the pictures seem to be taking little care with the rotors.  Reading the service manual leads you to believe they should be kept in a vacuum sealed vault while performing these operations.  Looks like they have the rims supported on 2x4's when doing all of this.

Make sure to get good levers, cheap ones generally are not designed properly and can leave scratches.  Lots of lube helps to not have to force the tire too much. Just make sure not to twist the levers while they are in the tire.  

Tires like the Tourance will be a pain and are some of the most difficult to get off.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

coachgeo

Quote from: "abruzzi".....

Necessity is mother of invention, but no one know the father so invention must be a bastard...

Geof
I've heard some various suggestions on who the father might be!!

Stress
GAP (Got A Problem)
Trouble
WOH (World of Hurt)
OWN (Ooops.. What Now)

Speaking of ooops.... you got a bad link in your first of the two parter
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"

So how high can you lift your garage wall in this configuration?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

It's limited only by your body weight and the local building codes.

So, to be more productive, one may want to wait with the tire changes for a few more months... the holidays are coming up.

Seriously, I use a 6-inch C-clamp... much easier, and I don't have to clear the junk and scrap metal away from the garage wall to use it.   8)

rainycoastguy

I just nail a chunk of 2x4 horizontally across the studs and use another piece of 2x4 on the flat to push down a 12" piece of 1x4 into the bead.  I sit the tire in the same 2x4 box that is in the picture.  Quick, easy and stores away.  The leverage bits can be used anywhere you can get a purchase, not necessarily into a wall support.

Hemibee

There are several videos at the No-Mar Tire Changer website.  The videos are of them using their tools but they do have some good tips along the way that helps with tire changes.  I've changed a few tires on my Harbor Freight tire changing stand and used some of their tips on my last change.  I got the most helpful info out of the video below.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/videos/3
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

Rocinante

Or don´t use anything at all, except tyre irons and brute force. I have lost count on how many tyre changes I´ve done this way on the Steamer, and for every new one I get better at doing it.

The rims are full of scratches from this and other reasons, but it´s a dual sport bike isn´t it?

My last puncture was at home. I noticed the flat rear wheel when leaving the garage sideways. It took me 45 minutes with two tyre irons and one rubber repair pad plus the necessary spanners and pliers before I was on the road again. That was a personal best for me and I grinned like a fool when done...

Point is, at least for those that take the bike to odd places, how do you do a roadside puncture fix if you need all those tools?

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com