News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

is this normal?

Started by tattyTigger, May 25, 2008, 12:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tattyTigger

Hi,

I just got a '95 Steamer, having only owned big singles before not sure if this normal or if summit it up?

my Tiger seems to have a rough patch around 5k-6K rev, particularly noticable in 5th & 6th gear, and on the over run when dropping down through the revs around this level, It gets all 'vibey', I thought it was the wheels not balanced until I pulled the clutch in and the noise and vibration went away, I guess it's the drive train, it this normal for Steamers or is summit amiss?

JetdocX

Is it vibes, or like a lean spot in the fuel delivery?
From parts unknown.

tattyTigger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Is it vibes, or like a lean spot in the fuel delivery?

I THINK, is got all the feeling of vibration in the dirve train somewhere, but I have no real experience of these bikes or big road bikes to be honest so I don't know it they just do that at higher revs/speed  :?

Mustang

could be drive chain set too tight (manual calls for 30-40mm free play , which is 1 1/2inch) or chain could be too loose . How's the chain slider ? Or maybe you are hearing the rattle from a broken alternator bolt !

JetdocX

Oh shit, I hope not.  DAR?

Isn't this one more noticeable at idle?
From parts unknown.

tattyTigger

Quote from: "Mustang"could be drive chain set too tight (manual calls for 30-40mm free play , which is 1 1/2inch) or chain could be too loose . How's the chain slider ? Or maybe you are hearing the rattle from a broken alternator bolt !

hmm, I gather by the responses this is not normal  :roll:

is that 30-40mm free play measure at the chain above the swing arm or below? I see the back wheel is slightly out of line, so that's the first thing to sort, and tha chain tension at the same time, and then fingers crossed  :?

Mustang

the engines on the steamers are quite noisy at idle but they are fairly smooth and quiet up in the upper rpm's , my hunch is you are hearing drive chain noise , it's amazing how much quieter and smoother things get with a brand new chain and sprockets installed .

tattyTigger

ahh these big bikes are gonna be a learning curve  :roll:

now are these any good for easy maintenance or are they not going to fit the Steamer without extra bobbins and adapters etc etc :?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

tigerrider

Even the most basic universal stand (with little rubber platforms) are troublesome on the Steamers. The outward angles of the swingarm along with its faily steep angle leaves them slipping to the bottom.

As far as bobbins being added...I've not heard of anyone adding a stand bobbin to a Tiger yet.