News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear suspension question

Started by Coastie, June 16, 2008, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastie

Hey all,

I have an 05 and would like to know what you guys set your rear suspension too under a large load.
The other day I went camping with my wife on the bike and I had set both the dampner and the spring to thier max. The ride wasn't too bad but the back end would sag slightly over rolling freeway hills.
With full boxes, me, and my wife; the total load on the bike was about 355lbs.
What are your settings for a full load?

Thanks in advance, Jim

HappyMan

I think 355 is close to the max load on the tires isn't it?  I set mine to max.  You'll never get it right as it's a weak spot on the Tigger.  I try to keep the bike light and not hit the big bumps over 70 mph.  There is still the problem of the front springs....In fact I was going to post the question about the Touratech springs tonight and ask if they are any good.  I was going to buy a set tonight.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

JetdocX

Quote from: "HappyMan"I think 355 is close to the max load on the tires isn't it?  I set mine to max.  You'll never get it right as it's a weak spot on the Tigger.  I try to keep the bike light and not hit the big bumps over 70 mph.  There is still the problem of the front springs....In fact I was going to post the question about the Touratech springs tonight and ask if they are any good.  I was going to buy a set tonight.

Dood!  Why throw good money at the "on backorder" company? :roll:

Any competent suspension shop can get you springs for a good price right away.
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "HappyMan"I think 355 is close to the max load on the tires isn't it?  I set mine to max.  You'll never get it right as it's a weak spot on the Tigger.  I try to keep the bike light and not hit the big bumps over 70 mph.  There is still the problem of the front springs....In fact I was going to post the question about the Touratech springs tonight and ask if they are any good.  I was going to buy a set tonight.

Dood!  Why throw good money at the "on backorder" company? :roll:

Any competent suspension shop can get you springs for a good price right away.

That was funny!  I don't try to order anything from them that is back ordered but I needed to order a different mount for my GPS and thought I'd throw in a set of springs but decided to wait.  I'd ask more but I don't want to hi jack this more than I already have.  I'll look into it again some other time.  Thanks!!

JetdocX

I don't think it's hijack.  It's a solution to the problem.

If you need some shop names I can provide.

And I can look up how much my stiffer springs cost me. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Cos

Quote from: "JetdocX"I don't think it's hijack.  It's a solution to the problem.

You sure you want to start looking up how much you have into that bike Doc?

:lol:

Let's face it, as much as we like our bikes, the suspension's on the cheap end of things.

One Penske shock coming right up for me...well, shortly anyway.

HappyMan

Quote from: "JetdocX"I don't think it's hijack.  It's a solution to the problem.

I'd love some names.  If you don't want to list them here send me a PM.  Thanks!

Cos

Let him list em here.

Beats having to buy him a beer to get them out of him.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Cos"

You sure you want to start looking up how much you have into that bike Doc?

:lol:

No I don't even want to know how much coin is tied up in that money pit thank you very much, Senior Cos! :evil:

I do know, I'm still way less than a comparable BMW(yeah, right, comparable BMW!  HA HA!) and that fact alone lets me sleep at night. :wink:

Mr. Happy, I'll get the prices on fork springs and a few names for you.  I know the shop that set up my front end did at least two tiger girlies before my steamer.

And now you owe me a beer. :D
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

One beer coming up...next time I'm in Reno.   :roll: Thanks!

Coastie

so... what settings do you set the rear suspension at with a full load?

Chris Canning

The max,damping screw all the way round,preload on 5,there's still a problem?? the stock shock is crap,if your 'Billy no mates' not so apparent,two up with kit,few roller coaster road you'll get seasick!!,a minor detail untill you've been on the road for a few hours and then the shock gets really hot and bothered,and your other half says 'is there something wrong with the suspension'!!! :wink:

If you ride two up a lot,aftermarket shock(with remote preload your just wasting good money otherwise) any of them will be a vast improvement,after market front springs(any) 15wt oil,i've run that combo for years,just been across to Germany for the WSB at the Nurburgring,bike runs better than ever,only complaints i get are from friends on big sports tourers who struggle to keep up,twisties motorways anything you like,and their one up!!!!

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "JetdocX". . . (yeah, right, comparable BMW!  HA HA!) . . .

+1  :D  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

flux

What weight oil is stock?  5?  I am thinking about front suspension components lately...the front end is REALLY soft.  I am not a big fan of the rear either but can live with it for now.

Old Desert Rat

I just purchased the springs and footpegs from Touratech and picked them up the next day!! :P They will be installed this weekend with 15 wgt fork oil. I'll give my feedback after I get it done this weekend.

I'm 6'3", 250 lbs coming from riding a KTM dirt bike, so the forks seem reeeaaalll soft to me!!!!

I've had pretty good luck ordering from Touratech and they have been really helpful. I have always placed my order over the phone because I will call the items since I'm local. Ordered the bash plate when it was backordered, the person taking the order looked up when it was coming in( which was in a few days) and it came in on time.

A Tiger owner actually works there and has been really helpful!!!!! Nice to see the Tiger infront of their building amoungst all that German machinery!!!
KTM 400SXC
1974 CR 125
1997 XT 225
1999 Yellow Girly