News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel fittings- plastic to metal

Started by Bliker, March 08, 2008, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

There are 2 female plastic fuel fittings (quick connect) on the side of the tank. I was replacing them with the improved metal fittings. One of them came right out and the other snapped off, leaving the plastic threads stuck in the side of the tank. It must have already been cracked, because I put very little pressure and it snapped off. Any tricks to getting the rest of the plastic fitting out, without messing up the metal threads.
2004 Tiger

Chris Canning

Haveing been there done that when mine sheared off,you need a small set of modeling files,file the full length of the thread with the edge of the file,take your time,you'll know when you've got through the plastic thread and start touching the metal thread of the tank,you just have to take it steady.

But before you start,have you seen those sets,for want of a better discribtion like a set of dentists picks,you can buy e'm for peanuts,you'll need some of those,and then gently prise/dig the thread out,make sure were ever you do the job you have plenty of light,but the most important bit take your time.

Bliker

I ended up using a razor blade and small screw driver. It took a while but all is well.
2004 Tiger

documental

I heated a large screwdriver, melted it into the plastic, let it cool off and harden, then unscrewed the plastic that way -  worked like a charm!
2003 Lucifer Orange 9551

Shiny side UP, rubber side DOWN

JetdocX

ANy screw extractor should do just fine...having never done the same exact job before. 8)
From parts unknown.

digitalcaptive

A dremmel with a small stone on soon got mine out, mine too snapped off with me barely putting any pressure on, didn't realise metal replacements were available
Russ

2013 800 XC ABS In Khaki

iceweazel

I've seen a few places with the metal replacements online, but rather pricey.  

I helped one fellow here in town fix a broken one.  Just about any screw extractor should work well if you go slowly.

Is there any name/term for these fittings,so that I could get them somewhere a bit more reasonably?  He paid some outrageous ammount for the metal replacements.

Stretch

What I don't know about mechanical engineering would fill a warehouse, but these are the only all-metal fittings I know of...

www.rideteamtriumph.com/tiger.htm

DobroDog

QuoteWhat I don't know about mechanical engineering would fill a warehouse, but these are the only all-metal fittings I know of...

www.rideteamtriumph.com/tiger.htm

I changed mine this spring using the fittings from TeamTriumph. I could not get a seal using teflon plumbing tape but did get a good seal with Pipe thread compound with TFE paste

since I was this far into the tank I replaced the fuel filter at the same time.
DobroDog