News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging issue

Started by triplerider, July 05, 2008, 06:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplerider

I did the electrical bypass mod that I did to my 06 daytona yesterday and was very disappointed to find the charging on the tiger seems to still charge at 12.XX volts and at any speed it charges at 14.XX volts or even blipping the throttle causes it to jump up.  There shouldn't be a fluctuation after the bypass mod.  Has anyone here done this mod and had the same effect which is basically no effect on the charging after this mod?  I have an 02 and no accessories being run at all right now.  The only difference between the two bikes is the bypass is longer on the tiger because of the screwy routing of the wiring.  The Daytona wires are right next to the battery and the tigers are underneath the gas tank.  Would the extra 12" make that much of a difference?  I also used 12 gauge wire which should have been more than enough to help keep the charging consistent and steady.  The daytona doesn't waver a bit from 14.XX volts with heated gloves, pants and jacket liner, high beams and an occassional GPS.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

triplerider

Some more info and I hope there are some electrical gods out there, I really suck at electrical issues so I need help.  Anyway the bike charges fine at 14.7-.9 volts at idle or speed and as the bike warms up to operating temps I start losing voltage, down to 13.7ish and as the bike warms up to the point of the fan kicking on I lose antoher volt to 12.5ish.  I checked the ground from the battery to the motor and the was 0 resitance so ok there and I ran a new ground from  the motor to the frame, but why would heat cause the problem.  Anyone?

Tim

Stretch

Mine kind of does that... 14-ish volts at idle cold, down to 13 once it's warmed up.  Can't explain.

I haven't done the bypass surgery yet.

Tigers aren't famous for having strong charging systems, I'm afraid.  But having a mounted voltmeter, having performed the bypass, and a strong battery are about the best things you can do for 'er.

triplerider

Stretch,

I didn't think much of it at first, but then I thought about my 06 daytona and after the bypass mod the tona doesn't even flutter with high beams, heated jacket liner, gloves and pants in 25 degree weather at idle it's charging at 14.5ish.  The motor on the tona and tiger are basically the same motor except state of tune, so the charging systems should be very similar if not identical.  I know from the manuals they are both rated at 35A.  My problem is I am terrible at troubleshooting electrical problems so I will throw a few dollars away at a new stator and rewire some critical areas, try and shorten the systems electrical travel and use 10-12 gauge wire on everything I can, hope that will show some improvement.  I figured by cold spraying the RR when volatage was down should have shown some sort of change if the RR was bad, but had no effect at all.  I'll have the new stator in by Thursday and will see if there are positive results.  Hey thanks for the decent reply was a far cry better than a few others I've had around here.

Tim

Stretch

What, in the 'Owner's Manual' thread?  Nah, just a misunderstanding I think.  I'll vouch for both Mustang and HappyMan.  Y'all just got off on the wrong foot is all.