News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stator-RR-Harness Bypass Surgery (Yes, I searched)

Started by 2aRover, July 14, 2008, 06:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2aRover

It's an 05, clock reads 24k.

Early in the bike's life, the dealer hardwired the stator to the regulator under warranty, and the regulator to the wiring harness.  Let me say this more clearly--the dealer removed the connectors from the stator and RR and replaced with soldered butt connectors.  They did a first-class job.  This past winter,  I performed Sasquatch's wiring harness bypass surgery and was very happy with the results.  Recently, however, my stator stopped generating power in the forest near Tillamook.  It's now at Portland Motorcycle Company awaiting a stator while I pine away for it back home in Boise.  Here's the question:

Testing the stator properly requires disconnecting the output from the RR and checking AC between the leads, as well as checking each leg against ground.  With no connector to unplug, that means having to cut wires.  When you guys do this hardwire business, are you using a higher-rated or higher quality connector, or are you also soldering directly?  If you've more than one experience, have you noted a difference between hardwiring and using the connector?

I'm looking for the best practice.  Hardwiring requires carrying buttsplices and crimpers in the toolkit, and complicates troubleshooting.
I drank what...?