News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Update to no running lights!

Started by jmurguia, July 12, 2008, 09:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurguia

After great suggestions for "no running lights", I took the Tiger to a small, trusted "mom & pop" shop here in San Antonio that works on BMW Cars, motorcycles, & Mini's only. I know the guy who works on the motorcycles and explained the situation when I took my wife's Mini to be serviced. "Bring it in & I'll take a look at it..."

So he calls me an hour later..."I found the problem.  Your ignition switch is bad.  Your running lights work in 'park' but not when 'on'.  I'll call you back in little bit with parts info...BMW ignition switches are@$80 - $100 and I'll call around for yours."

An hour later, he calls again.  "Well, your actual ignition switch is OK, but the wiring was cut from rubbing overtime when your turned your steering wheel. And, Triumph will only sell the entire (ignition switch) assembly for @ $200 bucks.  I'm not sure if I can get a part and get you ready in time for your trip Thursday, but I'll try."

So, now my Colorado/Yellowstone trip may not happen...bummer!

What do you all think:
  Last person to work on my Tiger was the Triumph Dealer here in town for a very expensive 12,000 service (almost $550,00).
  They did not put in the correct map for my Staintune setup, resulting in poor gas mileage and gas gauge that read 110% full all the time.
  A second visit about this problem and they tell me it's the best they can do & probably have a bad sending unit in the gas tank. Another $200!  
  Screw it, I can live w/out gas gauge.  I called Austin BMW/Triumph and they installed updated map and it's running like it should w/ gas gauge that works, for $40!!!

SOOOOoooo, I suspect they are at fault for the wiring chaffing b/c they did not replace the gas tank and ignition wiring appropriatly during it's last service.  I plan on taking the bad ignition to them Monday morning and demanding a free replacement...I'm sure it won't work, but plan on giving the manager and/or owner a piece of my mind....

Suggestions, thoughts? (So to vent and long post...I just want to ride!
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

ridin gaijin

Umm, I really don't mean to rain on your parade, and I didn't read the original thread (wherever it may be). But: 1) $550 is not outrageous for a 12k service. 2) With reference to the 12k, isn't the machine still in warranty? 3) I'm unsure how the map would reflect on the fuel gauge reading...? The fuel is monitored by a crappy sliding thing in the tank that starts sticking after a few years.

Aaaaannnd 4) I'm unsure I'd let lack of running lights--by which you mean, tail light, since our turn signals don't function as running lights without mods--spoil a long-planned ride through some beautiful country. I'd certainly go--just make sure you're in by dusk.

Ride on, and have a blast on your trip! It's lovely country you're heading towards. :-)
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

TigerTrax

If this is a wiring thing... you can fix it.
If for some reason you need a switch.... give Baxter's a call, they may have a salvage unit.

There have been a few instances where wiring in the ignition switch has been the 'naughty boy'.

Hans .... took his apart..... re-routed / soldered the wires and put it together.  That pictured procedure may be on yahoo groups Tiger ride-ins or triumph tiger owners.

Take the ignition switch off... take a photo of everything at each step...
you'll find your wires..... get a mini-torch soldering pen....

If I can find that... I'll post it.   It isn't a big deal.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'