News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Photoshopping a better 1050

Started by Advwannabe, August 10, 2007, 03:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

I was having a whinge about the 1050's stepped seat to a friend the other night and he photoshopped this:

Part of the ongoing fantasy to make the 1050 work for me! I'm sure with some risers, crashbling and ADV tires this thing would go o.k.

Two wheels magazine tested one on gravel roads recently and it came through o.k

Cheers, Russell
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

abruzzi

Quote from: "Advwannabe"I was having a whinge about the 1050's stepped seat to a friend the other night and he photoshopped this:

Part of the ongoing fantasy to make the 1050 work for me! I'm sure with some risers, crashbling and ADV tires this thing would go o.k.

Two wheels magazine tested one on gravel roads recently and it came through o.k

Cheers, Russell

It looks better, but I bet that seat would be pretty high.  I'd like to see some 17/19 knobbies photoshopped on there too.

Edit: i also wonder why other 17/17 ADV bikes seem in peoples minds to be more dirt capable than the 1050.  Uly & Versys come to mind.  I even saw a review that claimed good off road capabilities for the Multistrada.

Geof

Advwannabe

Abruzzi wrote:

QuoteEdit: i also wonder why other 17/17 ADV bikes seem in peoples minds to be more dirt capable than the 1050. Uly & Versys come to mind. I even saw a review that claimed good off road capabilities for the Multistrada.

Exactly my thinking. In group tests the Ully loses points for the front wheel and gains points for light weight. With appropriate protection and grip the 1050 should be able to match that capability.

As to the seat, its an expensive decision to get wrong. I'll measure one up and make a dummy seat to put on for the test ride. I've got a lot of seatime in front of me in the coming year but will have lots of time to get it right before I buy.
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

sagalout

You'd be changing the ergonomics hugely with that seat.  it looks about 3 inches higher.

I've ridden a 1050 around a track and the riding position felt just right.  I havent taken a pillion, but all of the magazines have said pillion comfort is excellent. I know it looks a bit stepped, but I'd try it on a testride before planning on making any changes first.

Advwannabe

Sagalout wrote:

QuoteI've ridden a 1050 around a track and the riding position felt just right. I havent taken a pillion, but all of the magazines have said pillion comfort is excellent. I know it looks a bit stepped, but I'd try it on a testride before planning on making any changes first.

Good advice mate and thanks. In this case I have ridden the beast with and without my wife, who is 5'11" on the back.

She hates seats that stick her up in the breeze above my head. That's ones of the reasons she likes our present tigger so much. I could use some more legroom as well, but the other reason I'd change the seat is that you are fairly locked in to one position at present.

Just the same, your reasoning is why I'll try and make a 'prosthetic' as close as possible to the final version for the next test ride.
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

blacktiger

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Sagalout wrote:

QuoteI've ridden a 1050 around a track and the riding position felt just right. I havent taken a pillion, but all of the magazines have said pillion comfort is excellent. I know it looks a bit stepped, but I'd try it on a testride before planning on making any changes first.

Good advice mate and thanks. In this case I have ridden the beast with and without my wife, who is 5'11" on the back.

She hates seats that stick her up in the breeze above my head.

Thing is, 5'11" women are quite rare, round these parts at least. So, I suppose, Triumph have catered for the average woman of around 5'5", where they might want to see just over the rider's shoulder.
Also, as has been said, that modification will make the seat much higher and will take the bike out of range for a lot of riders which was the main problem with the girly series.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Advwannabe

QuoteAlso, as has been said, that modification will make the seat much higher and will take the bike out of range for a lot of riders which was the main problem with the girly series.

but also made them ideal for people like stretch and I  8)

Cheers, Russell
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

Now you're talkin'!  :mrgreen: