News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical Problem ???

Started by Bliker, July 22, 2008, 01:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

I have an 04 tiger with 19,000 +miles. I'll name a few of the symptoms that I've been having with the bike.

1) The battery doesn't sound strong when starting the bike. I just replaced the original battery this past fall. I'm not running any other electronics, other than a gps on longer rides.

2) I've had the bike lose power a couple of times last week while on my way home from work. It only lasted a second or two and the engine and fuel lights came on. After the bike picked back up the lights went out and everything was normal.

3) I've noticed the the tach needle jumping around while I'm riding down the rode, never noticed this before.

I'm not much when it comes to electrical work, but I'm hoping it's maybe a loose ground wire or something simple. I'm going to do some trouble shooting tonight to see if I can find anything. I was hoping that some of these symptoms might point to a particular area, for those of you that are more electrically gifted.
2004 Tiger

Stretch

Loose battery connections can cause those symptoms.  That'd be the easiest thing it could be...

Bliker

Terminals seem tight. I'm going to take them off, clean them, and hook them  back up. The battery tested at just over 12 when off, and at 13.9 when running.
2004 Tiger

NortonCharlie

I had the same problem this last weekend, it got worse toward the end of my ride home probably a dozen times in the last 50 miles.  I saw it the 1st time on a trip about a month ago but it didn't show up again till this trip.  I started to pull the tank and fairing  Monday and found the negative battery cable loose, so I just snugged it up and was hoping for the best.  I don't think I fixed anything.  I hooked up my tuneboy and had a low signal from fuel sender fault recorded but it never caused the engine light to stay on.

I am having some idle problems (for some time) I am going to go ahead and pull the body work and look for problem wires (along with the IACV and fuel stuff) also pull all the fuses and relays wire connectors looking for problems.  I will let you know if I can pin down a likely culprit.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bliker

I think Stretch nailed it. The ground on the battery seemed a hair loose. I didn't think it was loose enough to matter, but my problem seems to be solved. It cranks strong now and the tach is not jumping around. I also put a new end on for the Gps connection off the positive terminal. The wire was frayed a little.
2004 Tiger

DirtBiker

Quote from: "Bliker"I think Stretch nailed it. The ground on the battery seemed a hair loose. I didn't think it was loose enough to matter, but my problem seems to be solved. It cranks strong now and the tach is not jumping around. I also put a new end on for the Gps connection off the positive terminal. The wire was frayed a little.
I wish I looked at this thread earlier I might be riding my bike right now instead of banging on these keys :BangHead
But let me start at the begining maybe some one has some advice.

The bike has sat for 5 weeks. (I got a new toy). Last night I went to start it and the battery was dead,
It would jump start but as soon as I disconnected the jumper it would die.
plugged in the bat. tender (thinking overnight it would give it enough..nope)
This morning had to jump start still but would run took it around the block few times it died and I coasted home. as it was running the speedo and tach would not work drop it down to idle and they would.
So I canceled my ride pulled the battery to do a proper charge on it. BUT when I went to pull the Bat. the ground was not very tight.
Ihope I didn't screw up the charging system.
Any advice? Am I OK?
Thanks
Toby