News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flat #1

Started by 97tiger885, June 23, 2009, 07:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Final (I hope ) update.  I went to Harbor Freight and bought an 18" breaker bar socket wrench.  I knew it was quality when I read "Made in Taiwan" and paid $8.74 for it.  I took it home and tried it.  Made breaking the rear axle bolt much easier.  I wouldn't trust it for everyday use but for emergency use, it should be fine and it is quite a bit lighter than quality breakers.  I drove the axle part of the way out.  I am now reasonably confident that I can handle a rear flat.  

Here is a description of how I am carrying all this stuff since I don't have a support van.  I bought 2 pistol cases ($9 each) at Pro Bass Shops.  One carries a tube, my Motion-Pro chisel style bead-breaker and a 22mm, 19mm socket and two torx sockets for the calipers and pinch bolts.  The other carries a tube, a patch kit and an emergency inflation kit with 3 cartridges.  I bought 4 36" 3/4" flat stock pieces to make brackets to hang the cases off my Thunderbike engine guards ($5 each).  I used a hammer, a small shop vice, a hacksaw and a screwgun to make the brackets.  They are crude but effective.  Total cost: $38.

For the bar breaker, I went to Lowe's and bought a 24" tube of 2" PVC with a few pieces to make endcaps ($5).  I needed PVC glue and primer for the tube ($12).  I cut the tube down to about 20" so that it fits inside the side cases when they are attached.  Inside the tube go the breaker bar, two 240mm tire irons and two 7/8 wrenches for the front axle.  I wrapped the irons and wrenches separately in cardboard and duct tape to eliminate rattle.  Then I stuffed the end with bubble wrap to keep it all from moving too much.  I camoed it to eliminate the plumbing look.  (With a 3" tube I could probably have stuffed quite a bit more tools.) I made brackets out of shelf brackets from an old shelf.  The bracket is bolted to a hole in the top-case mounting plate and comes out and wraps around the tube where it returns to the plate.  Just a clamp really.  I put double-sided hook and loop around the tube and brackets to help secure it (since my brackets are crude and imprecise.)  I mounted this directly in front of the top case on the passenger seat.  It is heavy and this keeps the weight off of the mounts for the Givi cases (which I broke from carrying my tool box as a top case).  It is tight enough against the top case mounting plate so that a person can still sit on the passenger seat.  Total cost: $17.

The hammer has now been moved from the engine guard to the bash plate.  I am using two worm-gear clamps to secure it.  

Total cost:  About $65.  

I had one previous failure in all this.  I bought an 4" x 4" x 8" electrical box ($25).  I mounted this on the bash plate.  It held one tube, the bead breaker, the tire irons, the patch kit and the inflation kit.  Looked great, out of the way.  Then I hit the front brakes hard and the front tire rubbed against the box.  Not good.

My hope is that it is now "set it and forget it" regarding flats and flat supplies.

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Yup, sounds interesting enough to want to see that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: "JetdocX"Got pics? 8)

I haven't posted with pix yet.  If I figure out how to do it, I will post pix of the setup.

JetdocX

email them to me and I'll post them. 8)
From parts unknown.

97tiger885

Quote from: "JetdocX"email them to me and I'll post them. 8)

Thanks for the offer, but I should learn how to do this for future posts anyway.  Here goes attempt (one)  two at posting with photos:

This is the total setup.  The hammer is attached to the bash plate by worn gear clamps.  The box is hanging off the crash bar and the tube is on the seat.

This is the bracket, one horizontal piece and one vertical piece.  The vertical piece goes through the holes on the horizontal plates of the bars.  So,  the box is hanging and clamped.  Notice the "R".  The crash bars are handed.

The tube is held by a clamp which is bolted to the top mounting plate for the GIVI.  The seat cannot come off unless I move the tube.  The bracket stock is thin enough that I can bend it out of the way with the top case removed.

These are items in the tube:  Tire irons, wrenches and bar breaker.  the green piece is the screw cap for the tube.  It has a 1 1/4" square on the end which you grab with a wrench for removing.  

Interior shot of the case.  Two pieces of foam come with the case.  

Exterior shot of pistol case.

This was a quick and dirty way to mount all of the tools I needed.   There are lots of improvements that could be made, but my main concerns were  minimal expense, ability to make with the tools I had and assurance that everything would stay attached and intact over rough roads.

97tiger885

Attempt one was a failure.  That was an attempt from Photobucket.  Any help would be appreciated....Never mind.  Attempt two seems to been a success.  You may come to regret asking for photos.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "97tiger885"You may come to regret asking for photos.

You may regret proving you can post them  :lol:  :lol: :icon_salut

Your screen arrangement looks very interesting. I have considered something like that, like a "Madstad" type bracket. Which screen did you use? If I tried this I was just going to go to the local scoot shop and ask to try a few for size, then make my own brackets.

I'll see how the 'Powerbronze' one works out first.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint