News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bonnie to Tiger transition

Started by dennish, October 30, 2008, 12:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennish

Has anyone gone from a Bonneville to a Tiger? I've got an '06 T100 and I'm considering trading up to a Tiger. I'm wondering about the difference in height, weight, etc. The Bonnie is my fourth bike, but they've all been about the same in ergos and weight. I'm 5'8" and have no problem at all putting my feet down flat and walking the bike around a parking spot. Maybe someone has made the transition, or has both bikes and can let me know what to expect.

Mustang

I have an 02 bonnie and it is a mini bike next to my tiger
flat footing a tiger around the parking lot is not it's strong point ,at 5 ft 8 you'll be tip toes ,once they start to go over you just  :oops: and pick it up ,otherwise I like my tiger way better , rides better ,blah blah blah

Attack Pug

Keep the bonnie too  :eusa_dance  :occasion14
Blue 1050

TigerTrax

Your Tiger be pissing on yer Bonnie!

When you take the Tiger out the first time for a nice long ride up the River Road..... you may forget to come home!

See you in Michigan next summer!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

abruzzi

I have an 08 bonnie and a tiger.  The bonnie is very low, almost crusier low, compared to the tiger.  The bonnie is more suited to local short rides (though I did a 500 mile day on the bonie once.)  Unless you are tall the tiger is a bit more of a trick to ride in traffic.  You get used to it pretty quick, but at first you have to think a little more (maybe a good thing.) Also, even though the bonnie specs in at almost the same weight (Bonnie: 450 dry, 92-2006 Tiger: 475 dry) the bonnie feels lighter.

Geof

Dr. Mordo

I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and I am on tiptoes on my Steamer.  It isn't a problem on the street, but I would imagine I'd get myself into trouble fast in the dirt.  I haven't ridden a Bonnie, so I can't offer an opinion there.  

If you want to get in the dirt, you may want to get a Scrambler instead of a Tiger - in some ways it is even more dual sport than the Tiger, and it's certainly friendlier to the shorter dudes like us.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

dennish

Thanks for the input. I've done some long (week +) trips on the Bonnie, and I think it works really well as a touring bike. My complaint has always been that I might be the only one who thinks so, and as such there is a shortage of touring gear for the bike. I'm also looking to expand my destinations to include some non-paved roads. And then there's the "three year itch." Unfortunately, I can only afford one bike right now (the wife is next in line for a new bike) so the Bonnie would have to go if I wanted something else.