News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel mapping question

Started by diggerT, June 25, 2008, 11:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I have just graduated from a carbed steamer to an 03 Girly. I have seen several mentions here and elsewhere about fuel mapping updates, how does this work, what does it achieve and should I be checking if mine is current?
I take it they are only are available from Triunph dealers

Thanks

DiggerT

TigerTrax

I would ask the person that you got the bike from WHEN the bike was last mapped.  
Triumph improves the mapping from time to time, known as the latest 'tune'.

You can go to a dealer and he can install the latest tune.
( Note: If you change to the 'off road' exhaust pipe... you should change the 'off road' tune.... may be an issue in UK ).

Most dealers charge about $35 US for installing a tune. They remove seat
and plug in something similar to a Tuneboy ... and press some buttons!
Five minutes.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Chris Canning

Don't get carried away with the'Must have the latest map' routine,firstly with the demise of the 955 i think they've stopped e'm, now that the 1050 is out, and secondly the best map i ever had was 14,and the worsed 16,i'm talking about what they call the offroad map :wink: ,i've never ridden my Tiger with a stock can or map since a bought it new 7 years ago.

If you want to to try somthing different try the 02 plug that fools the ECU,it stops the engine hunting for the perfect set up by fooling it into beleaving it has it,i actualy didn't like it,felt it took the edge off higher up the rev range,but at 20 quid worth a try,if you've an early 955,the connector is just behind the engine,takes all of 5 seconds to change,so you get a contrast to compare very quickly.

Digger3

I've run the full course on mapping.  If you want to play with performance you need to get Tuneboy, but the price is a real putoff.  But it's great to be able to hook up a laptop and tailor your bikes performance to the days ride, current trip, or lately even fuel prices.  Tuneboy also lets you run various tests (idle stepper motor, tachometer, fan, etc.) and also read any fault codes.  You can also reset the throttle position sensor.

Stock triumph tune for stock pipe is 10172, the offroad tune is 10173 and there are a few versions available from Tuneboy (you have to email them to get them).  Each gets you a little more and drops the mileage accordingly.

The dealer can pop the lastest tune in rather quickly, prices range from free to $75 depending on their greed level.  But your stuck with that tune until you go back to pay them to change it.

I do not recommend the 02 sensor eliminator, it does eliminate the "hunting" at low throttle settings by taking the ECU out of closed loop mode which annoys most people.  That hunting is feedback from the O2 sensor and the subsequent adjustments by the ECU to keep the air/fuel ratio around 14.8 (lean) which is desireable for fuel consumption purposes.  You actually spend a lot of time at low throttle settings.  With that said, I have adjusted the mapping to stay just rich and stay out of closed loop mode, but my O2 sensor is still in the circuit.  That allows for the ECU to adjust the fuel map to account for changes in elevation, temperature, etc. which I experience on long trips.  The O2 eliminator justs bypasses everything and locks the mapping at some preset elevation.  You can go very lean at higher elevations doing that.
Rage Against Age

abruzzi

My experience is to get the "off road" map, even if you keep the stock pipes.  It improves fuel milage, the engine runs cooler, and a tiny bit stronger.  Better fuelling means less hunting.  Somewhere on TRAT there was someone who had done a reletively scientific test, that demonstrated these things.

geof

REGULATOR

who is using tuneboy for the Tiger ?

I have been using tuneboy to get MAX HP out of my Rocket quite successfully,  and was hoping there were soem good tunes out there for the Tiger,   Since I already have the kit I just need to pay the 100 to get an unlock for my Tiger...    will be doing that soon, so I double check the tunes,   I don't think my 2001 has ever seen a dealer, it only had 3000 miles on it when I purchased it used, but it does have the offroad pipe, owner didn't even realize he had the offroad pipe....

iansoady

Quote from: "REGULATOR"who is using tuneboy for the Tiger ?

I am. Wayne Macdonald has some good tunes especially his A/F corrected ones for both TOR and standard silencer. I've modified the latter to keep the ECU in closed loop all the time and it's really smooth.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650