News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Instrument Lights

Started by Homeskillet, April 26, 2004, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homeskillet

The light(s) in the Tach on my '98 steamer no longer work. I looked in the owners manual and there is no mention how to replace them. I removed the front fairing and looked behind the instrument cluster at the back of the tach, but could not tell which wires were for a bulb. I commute to work on the Old Scream and get off after midnight....I can shift by engine pitch but I want to keep the cat tip top and am anxious to have everything working 100%.

Is this something that I can replace myself, or will I need to take her in to the dealer? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

:roll:
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly

RedMenace

yes you can replace the bulbs yourself, there are two for the tach and two for the speedo. They have a little rubber plug which is fussy to reach and, IIRC they aren't all the same sized bulb. It would be unusual for all of the lights to go at aonce. If that is what has happened perhaps you have a fuse or wiring problem?
The Red Menace

Homeskillet

The bulbs failed one at a time over the course of a few months. One in the speedo and both in the tach a month or two apart. I had been meaning to replace them but the project kept being put on the back burner for one reason or another.

Shortly after posting my cry for help I called the dealer only to find out that they were out of bulbs, but were expecting a shipment in a few days! After turning to a couple other boards I read that the same bulbs could be found at many Jap bike shops.

I removed the instruments and took the offending bulbs with me to the local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer; they had the larger of the two types of bulb in stock and were a dollar a piece cheaper than the Triumph dealer!

The next day I checked with the Triumph dealer and the shipment was in! I popped in and picked up the smaller bulb for the bottom of the speedo (along with a couple spares) and was back in business within twenty minutes!

It is nice to have everything working properly.
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly