News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Steamer Q's

Started by abruzzi, August 25, 2008, 12:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Runs like a top, so far, but right now I have two questions.

1) how loud is loud?  This bike is noisy at low rpms, and beautiful at high rpms.  The odd bit that makes me worry a bit, is the transition from noisy to smooth is surprisingly abrupt.  Somewhere around 2500 rpms it just magically goes away.  I want to distinguish between "they all sound like diesels at low rpms" and DAR.  What is involved in fixing the DAR if it appears?

2)  Is the side stand supposed to be bent like that?  This bike leans over more than seems natural.  I thought about buying a new side stand, but don't want to wast the money if they are all like that.  Alternatively, has anyone hammered that bend to make the bike stand up more?

Oh, a third question:

3) Got the Givi/Triumph luggage.  Does any Givi monokey luggage attach?  Does anyone else make givi compatible luggage (I prefer top load on the side cases.)

Geof

Stretch

Quote from: "abruzzi"I thought about buying a new side stand, but don't want to wast the money if they are all like that.  Alternatively, has anyone hammered that bend to make the bike stand up more?

Don't hammer it.  With the weight of the bike off the sidestand, have a clever friend heat the bend with an acetylene torch and straighten it a bit while the hot spot is still glowing.  Then let it cool a bit before putting weight on it to test the length.

Dr. Mordo

Mine is pretty loud at idle.  If memory serves, I think the DAR is more like a box of metal chunks being shaken violently.

Any Givi monokey luggage should work.  I'm almost positive Givi makes topload Monokey luggage.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"Runs like a top, so far, but right now I have two questions.

1) how loud is loud?  This bike is noisy at low rpms, and beautiful at high rpms.  The odd bit that makes me worry a bit, is the transition from noisy to smooth is surprisingly abrupt.  Somewhere around 2500 rpms it just magically goes away.  I want to distinguish between "they all sound like diesels at low rpms" and DAR.  What is involved in fixing the DAR if it appears?

2)  Is the side stand supposed to be bent like that?  This bike leans over more than seems natural.  I thought about buying a new side stand, but don't want to wast the money if they are all like that.  Alternatively, has anyone hammered that bend to make the bike stand up more?

Oh, a third question:

3) Got the Givi/Triumph luggage.  Does any Givi monokey luggage attach?  Does anyone else make givi compatible luggage (I prefer top load on the side cases.)

Geof
Sounds like you have a broken bolt on the alt. shaft .it will let the steel plate for the cush drive rattle like hell and you are also hearing the head of the bolt rattling around . at around 2500-3000 rpm centrifical force will quiet it all down . Pull the alt and it will be obvious if the head of bolt is sheared off . Been there done that . Easy fix

The kickstand will just bend again you need to weld a pc of 1/4 inch steel rod to each side of it after you straighten it out to where you want it

steamer stands and luggage hate each other , bends the stand every time

Yes the givi monokey is what the triumph branded luggage is and the mono key stuff fits

cascadetiger

I don't know how loud is loud suppose to be.  Mine sounds like a farm tractor in the first few thousand RPM's.  Like I said, I thought there was something wrong with the motor when I first bought it, but i think it is normal.  I read about the DAR thing, but I don't know exactly what it sounds like.

JetdocX

Need a parts bike already???? :twisted:  I think I have one in mind....:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Buy one now and avoid the rush.  Your dealer will probably not stock any parts for your bike, DAMHIK.
From parts unknown.