News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Factory Pro

Started by Dr. Mordo, August 23, 2008, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Does anybody know what exactly comes in the Factory Pro Carb Tuning Kit?

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/pr ... ikuni.html

I'm probly gonna buy the needle jets, but was wondering about the kit.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

nightrunner

Sorry no.  I just went with bigger mains and pilots, and shimmed the needles.    Could you call Factory Pro?
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Dr. Mordo

I found a thread over at triumphrat that explained a little what comes with the kit.  I figured 'what the hell' and bought it.  If I remember it I'll post here what came in the kit.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Dr. Mordo

I got the kit.  It comes with:

3 Needles and a 8 needle clips
4 Slide Springs (1 extra on purpose for some reason)
10 main jets (3x127.5, 3x130, 3x132.5, 1x122.5)
8 Allen Head carb screws

It also comes with a pretty good set of directions on tuning the carb to optimize power.  Kinda pricey for $130ish, but not a bad deal.

I also got the needle jets, but they were $75 extra.

I'm waiting for my diaphragms and P/U coil from Baxter, but I'll let you know when I get it back together.

BTW, The giant pic was on purpose so you could see some details maybe.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

This kit is for the Mikuni carbs?
From parts unknown.

Mustang

yes this is the Mikuni carb kit
the keihins use smaller mainjets
and if you noticed there was one oddball main jet of 122.5 , the early triumphs with mikunis had a diff. main jet in the center carb . not sure why but they did .

The Keihins  are basically the same carb , you just have smaller main jets stock size for keihins is 98 for mains and you need to shim the needles rather than having nice needles that let you change the clip position .

FYI .......did you know that the # stamped on main jets is the size of the hole in it .
IE. if the main is marked 100 the size of the hole is 1 mm
a main jet marked 122.5 is 1.225 mm on the hole size
a 200 marking is 2mm , see how the numbering works .

that kit the DR bought is pricey because it has Titanium needles in it which should be less susceptible to wear .
also when you get the new diaphram rubbers you will prolly see an improvement cause they are what lets the vaccum move the slide up and down . doesn't take much for them to get stretched out .

Dr. Mordo

Yeah, I soaked the carbs in carb dip with the diaphragms still in the carbs (as I recall it said you didn't have to disassemble the carbs on the bottle of dip).  Afterwards, when I looked at the diaphragms they seemed swollen, like the solvent had in fact affected them.  So, I figured I they are as likely a cause as any for the issues I'm having.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Dr. Mordo

Well, I got the parts today and tore in to Le Tigre.  

First I replaced the ignition sensor and took it for a test ride.  It still dropped the cylinder periodically.

So I came home and pulled the carbs.  I timed it - 10:40 from start to having the carbs completely out of the bike and in my hands using only hand tools.  I have done that too many times.

When I dug into the carbs I realized that I really needed to do this.  The needle jets were certainly ovular, and the needles were significantly worn.  I suspect that when I first took them apart I noticed the wear but wanted to be sure the bike would run at all before dumping more money into it.  Then I forgot about it and couldn't figure out why the bike was running so poorly.  I used the medium sized jets to start with, and replaced the diaphragms as well while I was in there.

It fired right up, but since it was late I couldn't get into tuning it.  It's been cool here, so people have their windows open.  Open windows+D&D Pipes+10:30pm= angry neighbors.  I would have taken it for a ride but when I hit the throttle it really seemed like it was bogging, so I wanted to tune some before I rode it.

Stand by for tomorrow's update!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Dr. Mordo

Ok, the bike is running as well as it has so far.  I started with the smallest main jets, but the bike was bogging and ultimately dying at 4k.  So I dropped the needles.  Now it bogged and died at about 6.5k.  I already had the smallest jets in, so I figured what the hell I move up a size on the jets to see what happens.  The bike now had a very bad bog at 3k.  So finally I tried my original jets, which say '108' on them.  After some tweaking it is running very well.  So what seems to have worked is the smaller jets, the needles in notch 3, and the mixture screws out a good bit at a little over 3.5 turns out.  I don't like the fact that it is an uncommon recipe, and I suspect that I may end up changing it in the future.  Two things the bike has done all along and continues to do are:

1) it has an uneven idle.  Sometimes when I drop it back to idle it idles at 1000, sometimes it idles at 1200.

2) it will die if ridden fast then let drop back down to idle.  This one is weird.  I runs fine, but when I ride for a few minutes in 6th gear, it'll die when I let it back down to idle.  It doesn't do this in any other gear, and the RPM range is one I regularly ride in.  I can usually keep it running if I rev it a coupla times as the RPMs fall.

Finally and most frustratingly, one damn cylinder is still dropping out intermittently.  The one thing I have noticed is that it seems like the dropping cylinder is bad after the bike has been pulled apart, but gets better after is has been together a while.  Weird.  I cannot decide if it is fuel or electrical.  Because I know the carbs are still a bit wonky they seem the most likely problem, but the fact that the problem is intermittent screams electrical at me.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

At 3.5 turns on the pilot screws I think your problem is the pilot jets are not the right size , you should only need to be at 2 to 2.5 turns on the screw .

as far as the hanging idle of only 200 rpm diff . don't worry about it they all do it  !
I've seen some that vary as much as 500 rpm .
Idle was never a strong point with steamers they are kinda rough at idle .

and coming to a stop and the motor dying from sixth could well be a cause of the pilot jets ,
also do you have the right side air box capped off or open
and the beast should be lovin 120 main jets at least 115's
My Keihin carbs are happy with 105's

Dr. Mordo

Interesting.  Well, I'll have to try new pilot jets on the next go-round.  I've ridden it 75ish miles today mostly in the niterstate and it's running pretty well so far.  I'll curious to see if the milege has changed with the new parts.

Good to know about the idle so I don't drive myself crazy trying to get it to idle perfectly.

My right side is still capped - hmm, maybe I should try it uncapped with the bigger jets?  Definitely next time; that didn't even occur to me.

All I know is that now when I crank the throttle I have to hold on because I slide backward on the bike.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"All I know is that now when I crank the throttle I have to hold on because I slide backward on the bike.
:D