News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock install

Started by Bandit33, November 03, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit33

So, I finally switched out the front sprocket for a 19tooth......like the results.  Now I am ready to do something about that rear shock.  I see what everyone says about the shock going bad early on.  I have never switched out a rear shock on a motorcycle......my question is: Can I just support the bike with a track stand under the swingarm or do I need to get the weight off the back with a center stand or some sort of support under the engine and frame?  I know it is sorta a noob question.

Don
95 Tiger

Dr. Mordo

You need the weight off the back so you can rotate the swingarm to remove it.

I used my center stand.

BTW, I highly recommend Sasquatch's rebuild service.  It was cheap and fast.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

If you don't have a centerstand....get one!  Now is the time to install it, IMO.

Oh, you can also hang the rear of the bike from a structural garage ceiling member in a pinch.
From parts unknown.

Bandit33

I think I will go ahead and get a centerstand,.....would be useful for other stuff.  Looking at the underneath of the engine/skidplate, it does not look real user friendly for jacking up with a m/c or atv jack.Have been thinking about Sasquatch's rebuild service and also thinking of getting the Hagon......will decide pretty soon.  Thanks for the replys.

Don
95 Tiger

JetdocX

The bike is super tail-heavy until you remove the rear wheel.  Then it's just a little tail heavy. :lol:
From parts unknown.

aeronca

its not that hard, but you will need a stand of some sorts.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

nightrunner

If you don't mind spending some money, Wilbers makes top notch shocks for every bike ever made.  I have one on my Transalp and love it.   High and low speed compression damping, and rebound damping are adjustable and you can get remote hydraulic preload adjuster so you can stiffen it up one the fly without messing with a spanner wrench.    Just another option.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril