News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hone-ing In

Started by pKp, June 28, 2010, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pKp

Just wondering if anyone has de-glazed their cylinder sleeves using a Flex-Hone cylinder hone tool - ball type, 240 grit. The cylinders look pretty good - might even opt for a wire brush instead of the hone.

Also, do Steamer sleeves have the Nikasil coating? I assume they do not, but just making sure.

BruKen

:lol:  I had the same question not so long ago and did a lot of research on the matter. This is what my conclusions were....

They are nikasil and honing should really only be done if you do a rebore which considering they are wetliners, begs the question why. There is really no other valid reason for honing despite what everyone will tell you. It's a myth carried over from the days of early engineering and despite being debunked by the SAE is still followed faithfully regardless.

Honing is a very fine art when done anyway. I would never recommend you do it yourself and most certainly not with a neanderthal device such as a Flex-Hone

pKp

Fantastic post and links - should go on the Tiger Wisdom page!

Makes sense now that Wiseco sells a soft nylon brush to "hone" a cylinder sleeve - no cutting action! And that's ALL they sell.

Very good - wipe 'em down and back on they go.