News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

5w40 for diesels - can i use it?

Started by paulie, August 18, 2008, 02:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

so a friend has a handful of gallon jugs of 5w40 leftover after the sale of his diesel truck. he used to buy them by the case. i can have his leftovers for free.

is it possible to use this in the tiger? manual says to use 10w40 or 15w50... and since this stuff is is special for diesels, i would bet i can't. at least not without side effects. i would imagine the stuff has all kinds of additives.

so i've sort of convinced myself i cant use it in the bike.

i'm still curious though, as i'm not real versed in the engineering of oil.. or the differences, other than the weight/consistency. if anyone has specific info on why, i'd love to hear it. :?:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Sasquatch

There has been many threads on this.

Use it.  I run Rotella T synthetic 5/40 diesel oil in all my rigs and bikes.

Stretch

fano

Since I started to use  Rotella synthetic in my Tiger, shifting got much smoother, it runs more quiet and it doesn't burn as much oil. I sure like it a lot. I also use it in my Husaberg and have had no problems at all.

paulie

interesting! thanks for the thoughts guys.

i maybe should have done a search before posting, sorry  :oops:  :oops:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Bruincounselor

I use it too. No problem and it's very affordable.
Bruin\'

skoron

I went to Walmart to pick up some Shell Rotella T 5W40 to change the oil in the Tiger.  Walmart is only carrying the newer CJ spec, not the older CI plus.  This summer a Shell rep told me Shell had made the change to the newer CJ which does inlcude a friction modifier to help truck fuel economy.  He was not sure how it would affect a wet clutch.  He thought a small distributor may still have the older CI plus in stock but the large chains like Walmart would be changing over.  

I am assuming the "friction modifier" will affect the wet clutch much in the same way we are told not to use car engine oil in our bikes.

Has anybody looked into CJ vs CI plus spec Rotella T??

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

2004Tiger

I am using CI4+ rated Shell Syn R-T 5W-40. My clutch does not slip. Has anyone used the new CJ yet?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

fano

Quote from: "2004Tiger"Has anyone used the new CJ yet?

I haven't used it in the Tiger yet, but in my dirt bike it works great.