News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock removal

Started by Pip, October 06, 2008, 10:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Cheers Zombie,

Your perseverence with the rhs lower shock removal is a better option than taking the exhaust off, I just couldn't seem to get enough room when I tried it (obviously didn't try hard enough).

Fully adjustable Hagon? do you mean 'remote preload adjustment' or do they make an upspec shock for Tigger?

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

zombie

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Cheers Zombie,

Your perseverence with the rhs lower shock removal is a better option than taking the exhaust off, I just couldn't seem to get enough room when I tried it (obviously didn't try hard enough).

Fully adjustable Hagon? do you mean 'remote preload adjustment' or do they make an upspec shock for Tigger?

Cheers

yup remote thingy is what I meant

Chris Canning

My 2 peneeth,looking at the pictures,my spindle was drifted out from the left side of the bike,and went back the same way,as it's not possible to get the spindle in with the header pipe in the way on the right side.

zombie

Quote from: "Chris Canning"My 2 peneeth,looking at the pictures,my spindle was drifted out from the left side of the bike,and went back the same way,as it's not possible to get the spindle in with the header pipe in the way on the right side.

Silly me I don't know me bleedin' left from me  right , shoulda been left of course. :lol:

rainycoastguy

When I had my bike in to the dealer last fall for a computer check I asked if the rear shock link and the swing arm pivot could be lubed.  The tech said that the rear shock couldn't be removed without pulling the exhaust system.  I pointed out that it should be easily accessible once the swing arm was loose.  I went for a coffee and a walk and returned to pick up my bike.  I asked if the bottom shock link had been done.  The tech replied that he had beat on it but couldn't get the sleeve to move and if I wanted to bring the swing arm in with the shock attached he'd take it to a machine shop and get it pressed out.  After reading Zombie's posts I decided to do it myself.

I bought a length of 3/8" threaded rod, some 3/8 nuts, a couple of 3/8 by 1 +1/2" fender washers and a 3/8 flat washer and a piece of inch and a half high density plastic rod.  With this I was able to build a puller that was easily able to draw out the sleeve from the left side.  I pulled the top mounting bolt on the shock and let the swing arm drop as per Zombie's instructions.  That let me get in to wind off the nut.

Use all high tensile grade eight fasteners and rod.  (http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/thread_head.htm)  Cut the rod 11 inches long and on one end grind two opposing flats a 1/2 " long.  This is for a "steady wrench".   Cut an 8 degree angle on one end of the plastic rod, then cut it off about 1" long.  This piece will support the rod against the swing arm and allow for a straight pull.  Drill a 3/8" or 7/16" hole in the centre of it.  Thread two nuts on one end of the rod and tighten them together then grind them round.  Don't fuck the threads on the rod.  When you have done that make sure they are easily removable.  The OD of the sleeve is 17mm and the inside 10mm.  The rounded nuts are 14 to 15mm so easily fit through the hole.

From the left hand side slide the rod all the way through.  On the right hand side thread on the rounded nuts.  Just cover the threads.  From the left hand side pull it tight, push on a fender washer, the plastic angled piece, the other fender washer, then the flat washer.  Thread the nut down to snug it all up.  Hold the end of the rod where you ground the flats with a crescent wrench, and start winding the nut in towards the swingarm.  It will take a lot of pressure if the sleeve has either never been out or hasn't been out for a long time.  The plastic will compress and then pop back to size as the sleeve progresses.   Strange noises may ensue.  Mine was tight all the way out with no gradual loosening, but it came out without violence.

rainycoastguy

When the sleeve came out it had two broken bits on the left hand end where it had been smacked with a drift.  This has necessitated ordering an OEM part.  There are three Triumph dealers within 100 miles of me.  I called them all.  The price for this sleeve ranged from $10.00 to 28.00 Can.  I am sure the guy with the $10.00 price was reading something wrong.  Bikebandits price was $15.05 US.  All of these sources had to order the part from the UK, had a 10 day shipping time to them, and then had to send it to me.  I have never had local postage for parts for less than $15 Can. even when it is only over a distance of 100 miles.

So...when I had a Beemer I ordered all my parts from the UK because it was cheaper and faster.  Let's see if that works for Triumph.  I called Jack Lilly Triumph in Ashford Mddx. at 5PM GMT.  The part is 8.49 pounds or $14 Can at the current exchange rate.  He will have it by noon tomorrow and on its way by two PM.  Shipping time to me - 4 days!  Cost 4.50 pounds or about $7 Can.  Cheaper, far quicker, and a much more pleasant person to deal with than two out of the three local parts departments.

chairhead

A while back i bought a Wilbers shock for my Girly,
last weekend i fitted it,and thanks to this thread it was a simple job

i found it easier to remove the swingarm than to fiddle about with a long drift,it is dark in that little hole and you cant see what you are hitting,this also gives you chance to inspect the swingarm bearings,mine were perfect :D

once the arm was out i could see exactly where to hit and with what,
i used the tensile fastner from the rear brake torque arm,it fitted like a glove.

I put an 8mm hex bit in and 3/8 extention bar this was topped with a an impact socket and i tapped home the sleeve.
i wonder how much longer the needle bearing would have lasted?? :roll:
and here it is fitted,when i first got down on my hands and knees to try and find the top mount fasteners i thought ahh shit,but in the end it was easy to do,i also fitted a new OEM chain and sprocket set,im just annoyed with myself that i forgot to buy a new chain guide :oops:  :evil:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

walker

the swingarm also seem to be tapered - it's easier to remove the sleeve by using a drift from the left side of the swingarm, and removing to the right.... installation is the reverse - putting the sleeve in from the left is difficult, but installation from the right side towards the left is easy.

Much easier to make sure the needle bearings stay in place on re-installation.

Chris Canning

It's a shame Ohlins stopped making a shock for the Tiger(i have one),i also have Wilbers for another bike,but to have a Wilbers shock the same spec as an Ohlins you end up with a remote for the compression and the reservoir,and then a separate one for the remote preload and a pipe to go with it. :( ,so in the end becomes a trade off between one or the other,as space is always at a premium.

chairhead

Its a bigger shame that Fournales dont make a shock for my Tiger,
cheaper,much lighter and less to go wrong,service intervals of 80,000 miles,a much over looked bit of kit.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

rwoodhead

Guys, today I replaced the original shock on my '05 Tiger (after 42K miles) with a Hagon - and these posts were very helpful.  So here's the  report from my "Busted Knuckle Garage:"  :D
- removed seat, panels, battery & box.
- unmounted the preload adjuster, unbolted the top shock bolt then the bottom bolt.
- didn't have to remove the can, exhaust pipe, tire or swing arm; they were all clear.
- drove out the bushing & cleaned it up.
- removed old shock assembly out thru the battery area; set in the new unit, greased bushings, added loctite and torqued'em in.
- the longer Hagon preload adjuster and longer feed line could not stand upright like the OEM, so I worked the old fitting to mount it sideways; the knob is accessible behind the left side panel. This is good since I can't remove the Corbin seat when the top box is on (which is always).
Photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/woodhead1/TriumphTigerNewHagonShock#
Love the Girlies!
WOODY
PS. If anyone wants to salvage the old OEM shock, PM me.
Ron Woodhead, Leader
The Nittany Road Riders, State College, PA
Visit http://www.NittanyRoadRiders.com
(Kissell Motorsports RAT Pack)

blacktiger

Quote from: "chairhead"A while back i bought a Wilbers shock for my Girly,

I have to ask how you expect to adjust the preload?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Nearly as difficult as on my Blackbird.  Fortunately, on the 'Bird it's only a 5 minute job to drop the shock out and do it on the bench.  Not ideal though.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jonathan jaecks

They are not exactly cheap but Traxxion Dynamics custom makes Penske shocks for the Tiger, matched to rider weight & intended use.  They have two models that I know of that will work, the 8983 (double adjustable) and the 8987 (adjustable for both high and low speed compression damping/rebound & ride height).
As for the lower shock mount sleeve removal, a correctly sized hardwood dowel will also work in a pinch, just so long as you don't plan on using it more than once or twice. (good for a roadside fix)

http://traxxionstore.com/shocks-2.aspx

Jonathan
06' Tiger (currently under modification)

chairhead

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "chairhead"A while back i bought a Wilbers shock for my Girly,

I have to ask how you expect to adjust the preload?

Its pre adjusted to my weight and intended use,but if i have to then i will get the supplied "C" spanner out and give to my 3 year old niece,her hands will just about fit in there :D
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel