News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Runs cold and hot... is this normal?

Started by cousindave, October 31, 2008, 03:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cousindave

Hello all, I have a 95' steamer(which I LOVE) that has been running great but I have a question regarding the temperatures it runs. I've attached a photo of three gages set at the temp my bike runs under different conditions(please excuse my photoshop gages, didn't have a pic of my gage so I made my own).

The temp I'm most concerned about is when I'm on the highway or cruising along at a good pace. The temp, even in hot weather never goes higher than this. Is that bad for the engine temp to be this low? Is this normal for tigers?

The second gage is what I call my "normal" running temperature. When I put around town stopping briefly here and there this is the temp it runs.

The last gage is when I get stuck in traffic. The temp rises to this level until the fan kicks on then never goes higher. The temp quickly lowers back to the "normal" range once i get moving again.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the proper temp range this bike should run?

Come on folks, post your temps :)

THANKS!!!!

Dr. Mordo

Mine almost always runs at your Highway level, even when in traffic in Texas.

Where are you?  Has it always worked like this?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Mine runs in the three ranges you illustrated at the same times yours does.  Just the nature of the beast.  There is always water bypassing the thermostat, so the radiator is constantly flowing.  

Mine did this before AND after I changed the thermostat.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

:iagree what he said they all do this , it is "normal"
or as normal as a triumph can be  :ImaPoser

cousindave

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see I'm running normal temps. Was worried about riding long miles at the lower temp range.

I'm in Dallas, Tx

aeronca

yup - it's all good brother. mine is the same :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!