News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Filling the expansion tank on my 2006 995 Tiger

Started by 60stonuptype, October 05, 2012, 03:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60stonuptype

I noticed that the expansion tank wasn't registering a coolant level, so I opened a fresh container of antifreeze and starting pouring some in.  I'd entered a half pint or more when the coolant started pouring out somewhere near the rear wheel.  I tried starting the bike and it fired right up.
I should point out at this time that the bike has about 9500 miles and is lightly used (about 2500 miles in the last 2 years or so.  I suddenly wondered about the trip I'd taken a couple of weeks back where I put on about 150 miles. mostly in the rain.  I monitor my gauges all of the time and at no time have I ever seen the temperature gauge go in the red.  I should point out that I live in North Carolina and its still pretty warm here (highs of about mid 80s in the daytime)

This is the first liquied cooled bike I've ever had and I wonder if the expansion tank has an overflow pipe and for some unkown reason, there is antifreeze present but I just can't see it!

I did investigate taking the tank off for a closer look, but removing seems a bear acompaired to my old R100GSPD

Any suggestions or thoughts gratefully received.

Spud

Not sure why it would come out at the back, but the expansion tank has to plastic elbows that go into it inflow out flow these have a habbit of breaking. So it's off with the fairing and have a good look and replace as needed cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Spud

Not sure where the other end of the pipe goes/fits. So has the engine end come off ? cheers spud  :thumbsup

iansoady

There are 2 connections to the expansion tank:

1 is to allow coolant to expand (oddly enough) from the engine when it gets warm and then sucked back to the engine when it cools down.

2 is to allow any excess to overflow safely. This is on the side of the expansion tank and is connected to a hose that exits around the swinging arm spindle (at least this is how it is on my 04 Girly).

Here is a sketch.

Removing the tank is easy enough but make sure you have somewhere safe to put it down first and try to do it with an empty-ish tank.

BTW it helps to post the exact model as all this may be way off the mark if you have an explorer or something.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'm still in shock,problem with the header tank and starting the motor !,jeeze thats the last thing you want to be doing.

If the header has only just leaked than it's possible the motor is able to run on what's in the motor,the header is only the top up after all,ideally you need to start from scratch,empty the system and start again,then look at the header at the end,it's pretty basic stuff,the most important!!!! when re-filling do it slowly,you'll end up with an air lock other wise.

60stonuptype

Many thanks to all you guys who took time to repond to my plea and for the great advise you offered.

Yesterday, still being unable to determine the lever of the coolant,  I again tried to put an eggcup full of antifreeze into the expansion tank.  Again, it IMMEDIATELY flowed out off (presumably) the overflow and spilled onto my garage floor near the swinging arm.  Now this sounds really dumb but I finally thought "what if the expansion tank is completely full and thats why I can't see a level line"  I started the engine and let it run.  The temperature gauge went up to about midway between C and H.  I then took the bike for a short run around my home (never further than I can push it back) and with air running thru the radiator, the temperature gauge settled just above the C.  I then got bolder and finished up riding for about an hour and the gauge never moved from its "just above the C" position.

Being the old overly cautous engineer that I am, I'm left concluding that the system is so full that I can't see the interface line and/or the infamous "previous owner" has the system filled with a colourless antifreeze or just clear water.  I guess I'm just going to have to take the tank off to find out!!

Any thoughts or comments welcome

audiododd

Why not just stick a tube in your overflow tank and siphon whatever is in there into an old milk jug or something.  Then you can 1) see if there actually is anything in the overflow tank and 2) if there is something there, you can (maybe) tell what it is.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

metalguru

Sounds like the expansion tank is full to the top!
If you can drain some off by what ever means to the LOWER level when cold, that is the correct level.
Triumph in their infinite wisdom say the level should be to the uppermost mark when cold and the rest of the automotive industry in the world say the lower.
By experience the lower mark should be regarded as the COLD mark and the top mark the HOT.

Hope this helps.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

You have raised another question though, do you or do you not have antifreeze in there?  Specific gravity teters are quite cheap, but you have to take the rad cap off to test the main coolant (testing the overflow tank tells you nothing except what's in the overflow tank).  May as well go the whole hog and just change the coolant then you know it's right and it's fresh.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Personally I would change the coolant, then you know you are set for winter

metalguru

I would definately have anti-freeze in any header tank, at the prescribed ratio, usually 50/50 or a higher concentration for cooler climes. Engines can overheat due to radiator freezeing in cooler climes.
If any of the service times and the coolant ratio is unknown then it makes sense to replace the coolant.

As a footnote, anti-freeze normally has a use life of about 2yrs unless it is long-life (pink), which is installed at build source and is expected to last the life use of the vehicle.
When changing coolant, it is always best to use de-ionised or distilled water as the coolant filler, especially useful in the motorcyle engine as it, along with inhibitants in the antifreeze, further protect the cooling system from mineral deposits.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

iansoady

ISTR I may have asked this before but anyone used OAT (the pink stuff) in a Tiger? It has a longer service life and is supposed to have superior anti-corrosion properties. Works OK in my Land Rover and it would be nice to only need 1 can of the stuff.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

It sounds to me like 60stonuptype has his tubes back to front. An old problem.
Check :-
The tube from the radiator should be the one connected to the long pipe in the header that almost touches the bottom of the tank. This tube allows coolant to be sucked back into the radiator as the engine (and coolant) cools down.

The other tube which ends up by the back wheel is purely an overflow. If THIS tube is connected to the long tube in the header tank, any fluid you put in will be syphoned out and end up on the floor by your back wheel.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

iansoady

Allegedly this was only for the earlier model (now I've noticed the heading  :thumbsup).

However mine, which is the very last spoked wheel bike made, had the pipes swapped over - whether from new or due to the tender attention of a workshop in Stratford I don't know. It took nearly 2 litres to fill it up.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Quote from: iansoady on October 07, 2012, 04:17:21 PM
ISTR I may have asked this before but anyone used OAT (the pink stuff) in a Tiger? It has a longer service life and is supposed to have superior anti-corrosion properties. Works OK in my Land Rover and it would be nice to only need 1 can of the stuff.

The pink stuff is good for any liquid cooled engine.
Running it sucessfully for years in the family fleet.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers