News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Remove Your Tank

Started by Stretch, October 12, 2008, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

PS: I know of 2 different dealers that have lost or left those things off during service work.

No... I believe it became popular when Mork from Mork & Mindy would say it.....  I know I have used it many years.

Not familiar with Shazam 'jewish connotation'...
probably not the same as when Gomer would say it on
Mayberry RFD!

I think that if your valves check out good at 12,000 miles.... they will be good at 24,000. These Triumphs 3 cyl are great engines. The valves will stay in tolerance for a long time if you treat the bike well.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Quote from: "Stretch"Very early 2005 and older models look like this..

Stretch,

getting set to check my valve adjustment on my 05. when I pulled off my side cover I have no vacuum line attached to the pressure regulator as in your pic.

Where doe's this line go ? I have a shop manual but couldn't find a vacuum diagram.

Stretch

Flux reported that the other end of his vacuum line wasn't connected to anything, and other members have stated that their hose was missing altogether.  And I can't find the other end mentioned in my manual either.

My '05 doesn't have that doo-dad at all, so I can't say from my own experience.

What say ye, 2004 and earlier kitty-whippers?

Quote from: "Stretch"Flux reported that the other end of his vacuum line wasn't connected to anything, and other members have stated that their hose was missing altogether.  And I can't find the other end mentioned in my manual either.

My '05 doesn't have that doo-dad at all, so I can't say from my own experience.

Thanks for the reply !  My tiger runs great, so most likely no vacuum line needed. Maybe it is for the California emission or something.

flux

Stretch is right, that line goes nowhere.  It is ziptied somewhere on the right side of the bike close to where the gas tank sits.  When I pulled the tank that line pulled off by itself.  I wouldn't doubt it if your line (and others') is actually still on the bike, connected to nothing at all.   8)

What amazes me most about Triumph is the amount of bolts they use.  WTF?  I bet the weight of these things could be reduced by 90% if you took out some bolts.   :lol:

flux

MAN.  Putting that tank on SUCKS.  I too bad the "top hole line up problem".  I tried everything including going for a ride on a 950... sadly, when I got back no magic gremlin had come along to do it for me.  How irritating.  

But I did take advantage while that joker was off and cleaned up my crappy wiring on my aux lights... redid it all since before I basically routed wires around the tank and it was just sloppy looking.  

By the way, the rubber O Rings from a garden hose trick worked just fine for a KLR-fix for the fuel tank rubbers.   8)

zombie

I had the top bolt line up problem and I think it's because of taking the tank off with too much gas in caused it to stretch out a little bit , so I dremelled out a bit from the tank where the bolt goes thru as there is a lot of meat on there to do it and hey ho problem solved.

EvilBetty

Maybe put a bungee or ratchet strap through the two holes?  I'd measure the distance first, then check it every once in a while till it's come back some.

I was going to do this but Mustang's trick of leaving the back loose and threading the front bolt with the tank raised seems to have done the trick.

I've learned not to pull the tank if I can unless it's near empty.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

Anyone have a good picture of the screw location by the forks that holds the black panel holding the blinker on from the inside?

A picture of the screw itself would be awesome too.

I have a guy parting out his bike that is offering to send me the screw, but he doesn't know what I'm referring to, and this picture didn't help him.

Hatepylons

Quote from: "Stretch"Flux reported that the other end of his vacuum line wasn't connected to anything, and other members have stated that their hose was missing altogether.  And I can't find the other end mentioned in my manual either.

I say that my fuel pressure regulator is not connected, and I have no creaking flue where the vacuum line would connect to on the motor. :5huh

My bike is a very very early 2005, with a tank build date of 3/30/04 (Shift 3 / 30-3-04  is listed on the inventory sticker)

Now, my question is I have metal fittings on the lines going into plastic fittings on the side of the tank. Are people finding the majority of their issues with the plastic fittings are with the tank side or line side? I can only guess that the recall must have been done since there is *some* metal fittings used.

Stretch

Quote from: "Hatepylons"Now, my question is I have metal fittings on the lines going into plastic fittings on the side of the tank. Are people finding the majority of their issues with the plastic fittings are with the tank side or line side? I can only guess that the recall must have been done since there is *some* metal fittings used.

Plastic fittings were used on both ends until 2004.  The recall was done in 2003.  For 2004 models, the production line was changed to include the new parts.  The male fittings (on the hoses) were changed to metal, while the plastic female fittings (on the tank) were deemed adequate and remained unchanged.  

Your early '05 has a 2004 fuel system... not uncommon for Triumph to use up old parts on new model years (for example, some early 2001's have the 885i engine).

Hatepylons

Quote from: "Stretch"The male fittings (on the hoses) were changed to metal, while the plastic female fittings (on the tank) were deemed adequate and remained unchanged.  

Deemed adequate or are adequate, in your opinion? I'm taking a 2K trip in a couple of weeks to the Dragon from Pennsylvania....... now I'm a bit nervous.......

Quote from: "Stretch"Your early '05 has a 2004 fuel system... not uncommon for Triumph to use up old parts on new model years (for example, some early 2001's have the 885i engine).

Makes perfect sense - the lack of vacuum going to the FPR has me confuzed though. Makes me wonder if the pump is overkill........
[/b]

EvilBetty

The vacuum line is not connected to anything on most bikes from 2004-2005.

The majority of the plastic fuel fittings have failed on the male side, but there have been several that have had the female fitting on the tank fail.  Mostly when removing them, but not all.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Hatepylons"

:shock:

--Re: this photo: mine has the same setup--but in about ten tank on-and-offs in the past few weeks, I've gotten confused...my red coupling is on top and silver on the bottom. I think.

Um, I think...

...Anyone else with this setup can say for sure? Please...?  Then I can do what I should've in the first place and label 'em. :oops:
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

EvilBetty

Don't know about color, but the line mounted on the fuel rail closest tothose connections goes on the top connection. As pictured.