News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Change A Fuel Filter

Started by Stretch, October 12, 2008, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Do not install a plastic filter.  Nearly 50 psi going into a filter designed for 5psi is not a good thing.  There are some plastic filters ok with the pressure, but I do not think that one is.

The BMW filter is around $20 if I recall correctly.  Is saving $15 every 25k miles that big of a deal to skimp on the filter?  And I am not one who always uses "motorcycle" stuff either.  Never used MC oils, always run Shell or Mobil 1, I use the Wal-mart oil filters, etc.  But that fuel filter is a bitch to change on the side of the road after it blows.

The rubber lines used inside the tank are rated for fuel injection pressures.  I would also replace them at the same time as the filter.  Make sure you get FI hose.  Only need a couple of feet and you will have plenty left over.

FrostedFlake

Anyone who has used non-Triumph (or BMW) fuel filters ever notice how much less resistance there is when you blow through the non-OEM ones?  I picked up a metal one at NAPA, #3032, comparable size and all.  Happened to blow through it and thought, hmmm, wonder how easy it is to blow through the stocker I just took off the Triumph?  WAY harder to force any air through.  Even thought maybe it was clogged, so I cut it in half - no clogging at all, actually looked dang good.  

So anyway, now I'm a bit reluctant to put the NAPA version in - is the OEM one designed that tight for a reason?  And before you say it, money isn't the issue, it's availability.  Having to order every thing down to a $7 cam cover bolt (don't ask)(plus $5 shipping   :? ) and wait a week or more for delivery has gotten old.

EvilBetty

Wasn't aware of the NAPA one.  The BMW one is the EXACT same filter with different branding.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

FrostedFlake

It's the equivalent of the Purolator discussed above, standard auto filter but in metal housing.  My nearest BMW dealer is also my closest Triumph dealer, so that route doesn't help much.  I don't really mind ordering one and waiting a few days, but I'm just curious if anyone really thinks there's a noticeable benefit to running the Triumph or BMW over a decent quality, metal housing car filter?   :?:

Stretch

If the inlet and outlet pipes are the same diameter and in the same configuration, and the canister is about the same size (for similar element size and contaminant storage), there's no reason why it wouldn't work, as long as it's not too restrictive.  

I went with the BMW filter simply because I couldn't find a similarly-sized metal filter at the neighborhood auto parts stores.  If you've found one, roll with it.

John Stenhouse

Just out of interest, had the Triumph one you blew through been used? The only thing I can think of was that the fuel soaked into the filter paper made it hard to blow though compared to an un-used one.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

FrostedFlake

John, yes, it was the original filter with 13k miles.  I suspected it was clogged too, but there was nothing obvious when I cut it open.  I hadn't thought about soaked paper making a difference, maybe that's it.  Too bad I don't have a new Triumph filter so I could blow them both, apples to apples.  (all this talk about blowing is making me a bit self-conscious!  :pimp )

Stretch, thanks for your input as well.  I'm going to go with it and quit fretting.  Hopefully, I can find the time in the next couple of days to balance the throttle bodies, then button everything back up and see if the new TSP solved my problem.

Fe Man

So many years after this thread was started, all of the Purolator filters are plastic.

As I have just crashed my Tiger and I'm installing a new tank a filter is needed. Does anyone have experience with the plastic version?

matts23

I used a Wix brand filter #33012 I think.  It was metal and cheap.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

pineygroveshop

I've used plastic for years without prob.
Cheers,
Stephen

ChazzyB

Quote from: "pineygroveshop"I've used plastic for years without prob.

I had a Mahle petrol filter on the shelf that I bought and failed to fit to a BMW R100 I owned some years ago. Strangely similar to the one that came out of my Tiger's tank...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Chris Canning

If you check the cross reference it's in there,rather amusingly when buying a new fuel filter at my local BM shop,they assume it's for my 1100s,when I tell e'm it's for the Tiger,lad behind the counter scribbles it down,got a Tiger I ask!! yea he says  :D