News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Battery goes down at High RPM´s (bike dead in the highway)

Started by german, October 15, 2008, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groucho

This is what I learned about Girly's electricity having written and read some threads:
There are some Girlies that work perfectly. And there are some that don't.
The reason why these don't do their job can't be recognized very often. Especially if all parts do their job as singles but do not together as a system.
My conclusion: Buy a new battery every two years and hope for the very best.
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

flux

Okay fellas, I am thinking I may have an issue on my 02 but not sure.  Bear with me here.  My bike starts fine when cold, I ride for 20 minutes, get off the bike, fuel up, gear back up, go to start the bike, and it won't start.  It wants to turn over but will not do it.  After the bike cools down it starts up with some hesitation.  I do feel it's electrical and not valve related as they were just done 5K miles ago.  

Last week it died, we bump started it, now my check engine light is on (which I reckon will turn off with the 3 heat cycles thing Abruzzi and Stretch mentioned to me on ADV).  

I was thinking bad battery but how could that be if it fires right up in the garage?  How can I figure this out?  I have no idea about voltmeters and checking stators, etc.  Electrical issues are the worst because I just don't understand how they work.  

Thanks guys.

AndyM

Quote from: "flux"Okay fellas, I am thinking I may have an issue on my 02 but not sure.  Bear with me here.  My bike starts fine when cold, I ride for 20 minutes, get off the bike, fuel up, gear back up, go to start the bike, and it won't start.  It wants to turn over but will not do it.  After the bike cools down it starts up with some hesitation.  I do feel it's electrical and not valve related as they were just done 5K miles ago.  

Last week it died, we bump started it, now my check engine light is on (which I reckon will turn off with the 3 heat cycles thing Abruzzi and Stretch mentioned to me on ADV).  

I was thinking bad battery but how could that be if it fires right up in the garage?  How can I figure this out?  I have no idea about voltmeters and checking stators, etc.  Electrical issues are the worst because I just don't understand how they work.  

Thanks guys.

Does it crank but not start? Try shifting to neutral and see if it starts. My 03 Tiger sometimes won't start unless it's in neutral under the conditions you describe. I think it's either a dodgy clutch or sidestand switch,

flux

I just got back from a short ride... I think now that it's the sidestand switch.  My sidestand was very loose and I think it's working better now that I have tightened it.  I'll post back up if something changes, thanks for the tip.

sixx

I had these problems untill I did the charging mod, my 05 now charges at 14.5v at 5000rpm with both headlights on and 12.5v at idle.

Six

german

Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

Sasquatch's Voltage Fix...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3843

(whups, too slow :mrgreen: )

Don't get excited.  It won't solve the problem of a defective charging system.  I ended up replacing my entire charging system at once.  I'll keep you posted here on how that works out.

sixx

German and Aussie you have the exact same symptoms as I had the charging mod fixed it for me at a cost of £5.Sasquatch's fix is very easy to follow I did mine slightly differently by cutting the wires 6" from regulator red and black. this freed up two extra fused circuits for me to play with.

Hope this helps

six

sixx

Stretch I've just read back through the thread it's just a thought but have you done the voltage mod.I'm only asking this as your stator and regulator seem to be normal.If you have done the mod re check all connections and make sure the wires are not getting hot.

Six.

Stretch

Quote from: "sixx"Stretch I've just read back through the thread it's just a thought but have you done the voltage mod.I'm only asking this as your stator and regulator seem to be normal.If you have done the mod re check all connections and make sure the wires are not getting hot.

Six.

11.9 - 12.1 volts at idle (with the voltage mod) isn't normal.  Before all this happened, I was getting 12.8 - 13.0 without the mod.

The wiring is not overheating.

I haven't installed the 'matching set' new stator and RR yet... more pressing things going on.

sixx

Hi Stretch,

you wrote:My output between the legs at idle was about 8VAC and you idle at 11.9V- 12.1V used to be 12.8V-13.1V.

My bike idles (1150 rpm)at about 12V with both head lights on and about 12.9v with the fuses pulled.

If I check resistance at A-B A-C and B-C at 200 sorry dont have an omega on my keyboard I get a reading of 8 on all legs.

If I check  using the 2000 scale I get 50 at 3000rpm.

My bike is charging. I was riding today 1.5hrs both headlights on gps and half heat on the grips.checked battery before lift off 12.21V arrived home with 12.52V.

What scale are you using?

Six.

Stretch

Omega?  You're reading Ohms - Ω (resistance).  I'm talking voltage - V.  

But since you've checked resistance... there's supposed to be continuity (low or no resistance) between the legs, as you've found, and infinite resistance between each leg and ground (with the bike off and stator disconnected from the RR).  If you have continuity between any leg and ground, your stator is shorted.

My trouble is that there's low measured voltage (engine running, stator connected to RR) across each of the stator legs, 8 volts AC.  As I wrote earlier, I suspect that running the bike for a while with a fried RR damaged the new stator.  So I'm replacing everything at once, when I get around to it.

Found in my internet wanderings on the subject:   http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-super ... r-bad.html

You have to kind of wade through it, as a couple guys are posting contradictory information, but after reading it a few times, it gets clearer.

sixx

Thanks for the clarification and the link.

german

next week i will tell you what is happening with my cat.
thanks for your feedback
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´