News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gear changing

Started by yagi, November 06, 2008, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yagi

Hi to everyone...what a great site for infomation on all tigers...love the pictures.....i've had my silver 05 tiger for around 3/4 months now and loving every hour on it... its just past 5,000 miles on the clock, my issue with it is changing gears , pulling away from 1st to 2nd to 3rd there is a loud clonking sound like a bad gear change on a loose chain, 4th 5th 6th are nice and clean, ive checked the chain tension etc. i've only noticed it fo the last 200 miles -ish, is someting on its way out ? is this comon for the tiger, is there an easy fix without having to book it into a garage...Cheers for any feedback

Mustang

They all do it !
My 98 with 55k on it clunks from 1st to 2nd ,  It gets better with useage/mileage
Full synthetic oil helps turn it into a smooth shifting beast , but you will probably never lose the 1st gear clunk !

TigerTrax

If you would ever be riding with a group of Harleys.....
listen to them up-shift.....
sounds like a conveyor system with a bunch of loose metal baskets loaded with scrap.....

hmmmmm .... come to think of it ......
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

NortonCharlie

The next oil change should make a big difference
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Silverstripes

Yagi

It could be a question of getting the revs right. Mine does it sometimes and not others, all depending on the revs. I also run synthetic oil and the gearbox improved when I changed over.

I also used to have a Harley. Going from N to 1st is like hitting a cast iron bath with a lump hammer  :P

yagi

Cheers everyone....As soon as i can, I'll get the oil + filter changed, will let you know if there is any difference....  I did think of changing the oil as a option, you have confirmed my suspicions

Cheers again.....

Stretch

There's a bit of backlash in the countershaft, which can contribute to noisy gear changes.  With the bike on the centerstand, put the bike in gear (engine off) and turn the rear wheel back and forth.  You'll find quite a bit of play in the gears.  Shifting at the right RPM limits the amount of felt backlash, resulting in quieter shifts.  2006 models have a device in there somewhere to limit gear backlash.

skoron

I had similar issues with mine (2006 w/6,000 miles) including not being able to find neutral.  Have been running synthetic since 3500 miles (Rotella T).  

But, dealer had a look and soaked the clutch plates in oil overnight and re-assembled.  Shifting is not perfect but much better.  They said the plates were somewhat dry and maybe causing the synchros to hang up.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

yagi

just thought I'd update you all on the outcome.....Well I took your advice and changed the oil + filter to fully synthetic....the old oil was totally black, looked like it had never had an oil change in the last few years, so much for the dealer saying they gave it a full service a few months back !
anyhow I took it for a spin ..... and all's fine again, just to make my ride even better I've fitted my twin port Evo-3 race can...the sound is awesome .....

Cheers again for the help in your feed-back.....

ps the filter is a  kn-191 £7.99 I was told the same company make the origanal triumph filter...

cosmo

I have found that Hinckley Triumphs shift better with just a brief roll off of the throttle without use of the clutch lever. Not 1st to 2nd so much, but definitely 2nd on.
Jeff
Life is too important to be taken seriously.