News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Faults and Weaknesses

Started by Stretch, September 14, 2008, 06:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "Sasquatch"-Fuel fitting failed, one week before recall, 900 miles from home in the middle of the Mojave desert in 100+ temps.  Triumph bent over backwards to make it good though, so I appreciate that.

Out of interst what as the recall,i know Triumph recalled the plastic males,but's it's the females that went belly up on mine like so many other's.

Correct.  My Female side failed.  I still have the new Triumph parts in their packages in my drawer.  Never installed them.  Went with the all metal Team Triumph fittings and after 50k miles, never had an issue.

fret

One major problem, common to all years and possibly incurable.

The Panniers Leak.

Hatepylons

Bulletproof. Will need to change the rear wheel bearings in a couple thousand miles, and will need to clean the speedo head as Stretch mentioned, but otherwise great.

I have yet to adjust a valve (had them checked though!) in 28K.

GARYSTIGER955i

Hi all i have had my bike since 2001 in which i have had 3 faults and also had work done on the recalls.
1. Front brake discs warped and started to crack on the cooling eyelets
2. Charging system, the geny took out the reg/rec, so replaced both and all ok.
3. Fuel connectors on the fuel pump, which i have now replaced with valved metal units that was discussed on this forum and at quarter of the price of triumph
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5670
 My current milage is 42000 and would like to say i had my valves last checked at 18000 without adjustment and they have never been adjusted and are still ok there is a slight tick from the top.
 I use fully synthetic 10w/40 engine oil and change every 4-6000, i Have Iridium plugs, and the engine pulls like a train.
 It is the only bike i have ever owned and kept for this length of time and still swear by it, I have ridden Bikes for 25+ years and owned alot of machines and none of them, owned or not, compare to the Mighty, good allround, Tiger, and best of all its a TRIUMPH. what a machine and would recommend to anyone this bike, In fact a Girly friend of mine once borrowed my tiger for a couple of hours last year (2010) she was that impressed she now owns a 2005 silver 955i with 12000 on the clock,  so really its the bike that sells itself even with its quirks, not the salesman.
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1982 Honda xl185s (now Sold)
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
2004 Suzuki RV 125 vanvan
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.

Neverlost

I am only a few months into my 05 and already love her. I do want to explore a better windscreen as I am getting pounded even with the little Vario adjuster. Any suggestions.
Neverlost

chairhead

Quote from: "Neverlost"I am only a few months into my 05 and already love her. I do want to explore a better windscreen as I am getting pounded even with the little Vario adjuster. Any suggestions.

Sometimes less is more :wink: ,
i tried going higher when i first got my Girly,but found the best solution for me was the Triumph sports screen,i can ride at 80mph in comfort no problem,
a lot depends on your height,it will take a bit of time for you to find the best solution,but you will,
good luck :D

Have a look here,i know its blue and they only post to the EU,but if you want it,pm me and we can sort something out
this is very cheap,just something for you to consider :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Tiger-955 ... 2c5ac1a847
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Timbox2

It seems very personal re screens, most people seem to slate the Genuine Triumph Tall screen, I saw a brand new one on ebay and bought it for £30, I think its great and far better than the MRA Vario screen the bike came with, though I may switch back for summer. I bought a sports screen last summer but couldnt get on with it, that and the fact that although the right colour (Lucifer Orange) its not even a close match!!
2016 Tiger Sport

blacktiger

Quote from: "Neverlost"I am only a few months into my 05 and already love her. I do want to explore a better windscreen as I am getting pounded even with the little Vario adjuster. Any suggestions.

You'll have to give us your vital statistics like height and inside leg measurements because that's what'll determine whether my screen will work for you. As Timbox2 points out it's very a personal thing.
Rather than turning this thread into a screen thread, there must be numerous other threads dedicated to the Girly screen problems that you can search and read.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

jphish

Neverlost - Not sure what you're running now, but the Palmer brackets and windscreen (3 sizes - ive got medium) works great. Its adjustable over a small range - 3 positions up / down, and 3 back to front. I also had a parabellum windscreen that I used in winter (a bit wider & curved) but it broke on a wind induced tip over (70mph!) in a Maine motel parking lot. CRAP! Anyway - Palmer brackets are a good investment.

geotiger

Quote from: "Stretch"1999-2006 TIGER FAULTS AND WEAKNESSES

1999-2003 Tigers came from the factory with all-plastic fuel line fittings at the tank, and are known to split, causing gasoline leaks.  This was the subject of a factory recall in 2003.  2004 models have improved (partially metal) fittings.  All-metal fittings can be had from TeamTriumph... http://www.triumph1.com/tiger.htm .  These items are not needed for (and will not fit) 2005-06 models, as they have a slightly different fuel system.

I just want to clarify this statement. I have a 2005 model and it indeed had the two plastic fittings (male and female) and the metal kit from Team Triumph did work on my bike.  Just wanted to through that out there.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

GARYSTIGER955i

Quote from: "fret"One major problem, common to all years and possibly incurable.

The Panniers Leak.

Ah standard ones leak but theirs a quick fix... change them to Alpos Aluminium boxes. Problem solved
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.

Advwannabe

Re the panniers, someone posted up once that if the pannier is not overloaded the main source of leakage is the hinges. I silasticed the bolts that attach the hinge to the pannier and it has stopped most of the leakage.

In the OP Stretch pointed out the poor instrument backlighting at twilight. Previously I agreed with him but on this years border run ( 3500miles in four days) I had a revelation.

When you ride at twilight there is a period of aobut 40 minutes, depending on where in the world you live where it is not dark enough to use high beam/spotlights and the natural light is not good enough to see the kamakazi beasties. Surprise surprise this corresponds to the period where the backlighting for the instruments is ineffective.

So when it's hard to read the instruments that means its hard to see what or who wants to throw themselves under your wheels. So slow down or get off the road for a bit. Thanks for the handy design feature Triumph!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

GARYSTIGER955i

Quote from: "GARYSTIGER955i"Hi all i have had my bike since 2001 in which i have had 3 faults and also had work done on the recalls.
1. Front brake discs warped and started to crack on the cooling eyelets
2. Charging system, the geny took out the reg/rec, so replaced both and all ok.
3. Fuel connectors on the fuel pump, which i have now replaced with valved metal units that was discussed on this forum and at quarter of the price of triumph
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5670
 My current milage is 42000 and would like to say i had my valves last checked at 18000 without adjustment and they have never been adjusted and are still ok there is a slight tick from the top.
 I use fully synthetic 10w/40 engine oil and change every 4-6000, i Have Iridium plugs, and the engine pulls like a train.
 It is the only bike i have ever owned and kept for this length of time and still swear by it, I have ridden Bikes for 25+ years and owned alot of machines and none of them, owned or not, compare to the Mighty, good allround, Tiger, and best of all its a TRIUMPH. what a machine and would recommend to anyone this bike, In fact a Girly friend of mine once borrowed my tiger for a couple of hours last year (2010) she was that impressed she now owns a 2005 silver 955i with 12000 on the clock,  so really its the bike that sells itself even with its quirks, not the salesman.

Update I still love my Tiger even after 11 years of ownership.. I now have 60,000 miles on my Tiger 955i, the tappets are still in good shape and have never been touched, i average 15000 miles on a set of tourance tyres, I still average 60mpg combined, I have replaced the Breather oil seal as oil was entering the airbox, Im still on the above iridium plugs, and have just replaced the original air filter (at 53000 miles) with a K+N unit, I am now on my 3rd stator and 4th Reg/Rec, the 3rd was replaced under warranty from http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ and I did the RR mod when I changed the Fuel connectors, I am using the upgraded cooler running Mosfet RR. I have had Issues with Powerbronze taller touring screen, so now on standard triumph screen which is still noisey, but have now bought a ceebaileys type2 8+ with winglets in light grey for less than £170 from http://www.woodysimportarium.com which I hope will reduce noise and give more protection in winter riding. I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect of a Tiger if looked after, I didnt mention, but must mention when I first bought the Tiger I did treat her to a bottle of Active8 http://www.activ8lubricants.com/ this is better than slick50, and is a proven product, I have used this stuff in all my bikes and have never had a mechanical problem.. Just a thought. Happy Riding.

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.

birddogone

Stretch, Thanks for great information! I recently got a 2006 Tiger and was a little concerned about the "clonking' in the front forks. Thought the head bearings needed to be adjusted.
This is a terrific Triumph Tiger specific web site.  :eusa_clap
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Bixxer Bob

It may  be a while before you hear from Stretch; he was punted off a couple of years back and went 4-wheel.  He still pops in occasionally but, being the unparalleled master of all things Girly, he's sorely missed.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...