News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oil consumption & Off road tune?

Started by Uralite, October 28, 2008, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Quote from: "matttys"
Quote from: "2004Tiger"My 2004, on a very quick round trip to Yosemite and back totaling 2300 miles, averaged 50 MPG and used not enough oil to require topping up.

How many miles were on your bike and how fast were you riding.  At an average speed of 87 mph as measured by my GPS that means that I was cruising at 95-100 most of the way and only really slowed down in heavy traffic.  I don't doubt that if I were topping out at 75 mph the oil consumption and fuel mileage would be a bit different.  I don't have too, too much experience with these bikes, but I've been reading that oil consumption is just the nature of the beast (especially on my bike with 29k miles).

I see the opposite happening.

It all depends on how hard you are working the beast.  You were demanding more power to move faster resulting in more fuel used.  The engine oil was likely hotter which can do bad things to oil, especially pure dino.  

You are probably using your Rotax 650 as the basis for your griping?  Don't.  That engine defies all logic.  It's amazing. :lol:
From parts unknown.

matttys

Quote from: "JetdocX"You are probably using your Rotax 650 as the basis for your griping?  Don't.  That engine defies all logic.  It's amazing. :lol:

I don't know what you mean.  My 650 has never used oil.  I've never added oil to that bike in 43k miles.  I'm sure you're right as far as twisting the throttle to accelerate.  Either way, I'm living with the fact that this bike burns a bit of oil.  I'm thinking about making a oil bottle holder between the struts of my Ma's engine guards.  There's enough space there and the bottom has a nice flat surface.  It maybe functional, but it will look pretty ugly  :roll:
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

JetdocX

That's exactly what I mean about the Rotax engine.
From parts unknown.