News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

All I can say is WOW!!

Started by Tom Herold, November 23, 2008, 01:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

Of course, if you own a Tiger, you already know that........

So I picked up my Silver '05 today, it was a brisk 22 degrees (F) when I finished my inspection and test ride then handed over the money.  I suited up, kicked the heated grip on high, and took to the road. Unfortunately it was all super slab on the way home due to time constraints, but it was still 5 hours in the saddle to get aquainted.

I was able to run it through it's paces in some long, sweeping turns, and through some mountainous roads until I hit the Low Country of South Carolina, where the highway becomes long and straight.  She churned right along at 80mph and 5300rpm, not too bad at all for stock gearing. This bike has a very nice power band.

I bought this bike sight unseen, and have never ridden a Tiger before. My Triumph experience is limited to my Sprint and Thunderbird. My first impression's of the Tiger are both suprise at it's agility and ability to flat out run the higway with ease, but also comfort at knowing it was the right move to make from the first test ride I took it on.  I can live with the gel seat, but I think the rear lip on the drivers seat is a real pain in the ass bone.  Gotta do that mod before the next road trip.......

The seat height doesn't bother me at all (5'10"/32" inseem) and the ergonomics are a great fit.  I couldn't have made this same trip on my Sprint with the Corbin seat, Helibars and touring wind screen without more stopping, stretching, and pain medication.

The first change needs to be the wind screen. The stock one is great for the Summer and around town, but out on the highway I need a little more head protection. As it is, the slip stream hits me right in the forehead.  I'm going to go with a Cee Bailey #2, with the 4 to 4 1/2" over stock set up and add the adjustable laminar lip, that'll fix things right up.

The second change is to add the 1" up and back bar risers from SW Motec. I already have them, so I just need to bolt them on.  

The last is the TOR muffler, I just don't like the sound. It reminds me of the little import cars with the big exhaust cans on them and I don't like the drone at highway speeds.

I'd prefer a stock set-up, so if anyone wants to swap me their stock can (in good condition, meaning no dents or serious scratches), and are willing to pay shipping, you can have the TOR.  

PM me and let's see what'cha got.

BTW, it's obvious the silver Tigers are the fastest and that's all I have to say about that.........  :lol:
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

HappyMan

Congrats on a fantastic purchase!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Advwannabe

Congrats Tom!

You don't have the mighty snot green model, but relax, Silver is almost as good  8)

The windscreen thing is very personal, but some of the fellas of similar height to you may be able to help you short cut your solution if you trawl through some all posts.

I'm with you on the TOR, I have a Staintune with the bung still in. A little extra bark around town and in the canyons, no annoying drone on the long runs

Enjoy!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

John Stenhouse

Well done Tom, silver is only slightly slower than Black and Orange, don't worry  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

REGULATOR

Welcome,  
    I too switched to the tiger from a sprint, and really enjoy te comfort..

check what number sprocket you have on the front, the teeeth make a big difference on highway..

Id wait to ditch the exhaust,     try some earplugs at first, because the power is nice, I don't even notice exhaust sound anymore...( mine ahs the TOR)

Tom Herold

Im thinking the TOR pipe has been successfully traded for a stocker, thanks for the interest and help!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

ackme

Tom, congrats on the Tiger!  I got an 05 six weeks ago and love it.   :D

Mine is a green one and I think it is only snotty because it carries the whole heritage of Triumph Britsh Racing Green.   :P

I only have the sport screen on mine but from what I have read on the boards here a lot of folks seem to like MRA Vario.  However, the CeeBailey with the larimar lip might be pretty similar in the end.

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

TigerTrax

Well there Mr. Tom Herold....

You'd be well informed to know the Eastern Tiger Ride-In will be held in
some goldarned place in NC ... first week of June 2009.....

See you there!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

REGULATOR

really now,   I may decide to try and make one if I'm around this year...short ride to NC from Gawga

Tom Herold

Depending on the June date I might be able to make it. That's a busy month for me, but I'll keep an eye out for the official notification of place/date/time.  Thanks for the invite!  

If there are other SC, FL, or GA riders heading up, maybe we can coordinate a meeting point enroute and gaggle in together?
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton