News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12vdc switched power (and n00b introduction)

Started by matttys, December 01, 2008, 05:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttys

Hello all.  I've been looking for a Tiger for a while now as my fiancee is looking to hop on the back instead of riding her own bike.  So I'm selling her Suzuki GS500E and buying a Tiger.  

I'm not a total n00b as I've got a few other bikes. . . DRZ470SM supermoto, BMW 650 Dakar, DR350 kicker and a little DRZ134 in supermoto trim.  Just needed something to crash the slab and twisties on - hence the Tiger.

I just picked up a new to me 02 Girly.  I'm from Ohio, but found a good deal on an 02 in Tampa, FL.  I flew down there last Sunday, checked out the bike, road to Atlanta that night and then back to Ohio the following day (38F and 600 miles of rain from Atlanta to Columbus sure sucked).  Bike consumed a bit of oil on the 1k trip, but I was cruising at 85-90mph the entire way.  I'm reading that is fairly normal for these bikes.  Anyway, I have the bike in pieces in my garage and am busy cleaning every surface of the bike and inspecting everything as the previous owner took the bike to a dealer for service and never washed it.  I've found a few pieces that are missing or need to be replaced, but I'm overall very happy with my purchase.  

I'm going to be adding Trail Tech's 13w HID lights, a Stebel 139db horn, Datel voltmeter and Stretch's power mod for the battery.  Where is the best place to splice into 12vdc switched power?  I'm going to be running aux switches for both headlights as I'm not looking cook the electrics, so I really can't tap in there as I may have times when I turn the headlamps both off.  Any other suggestions?  

I will post some pictures up when the bike is back in one piece.  

PS.  Check out the classifieds for a complete Givi luggage setup that I'm taking off the bike  :wink:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5314
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Stretch

Howdy!  Welcome aboard.

I tapped in to the tail light to trigger the relay for the accessory fuse block.  Shouldn't be much of a problem since you already have her in pieces.

The tail light wire is Yellow, inside the wire loom running from the bike's main fuse box (gray box under the seat) toward the tail light.  It ends at the tail light / brake light connector, and is Red between that connector and the bulb socket.

Just so you know, the brake light wire is Green / Purple, turning to Blue after the connector.

Props for the voltage mod go to Sasquatch.

matttys

Sounds good.  Thank you for the help!
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM