News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

need some wiring help

Started by REGULATOR, November 24, 2008, 02:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

ok before I take it all apart and dive inlike I normally do, I thought Id ask first.

I'm about to wire up two off road lights to my Tiger,  using a relay of course.

I was thinking I would tap into the headlight wires so that they only come on with the highbeam, and I wouldn't need a switch ( migth change once I get started)

But  since i don't have the cowl off at the moment does anybody know which wire it is?

I'll take soem pics and do a little how to once I get started...

I had soem lights in my attic from my last truck..   was cleaning and looked at one set I had and noticed a bracket mounted on them that would fit perfectly on the Tiger...  ( I'll post up pics when done)

so I mounted them up and sure enough they fit...   now just need to run the relays and wire a switch or hook to the headlights..

iansoady

Presumably when you say "using a relay", you'll use the headlight feed only to trigger the relay and run a heavy duty cable direct from the battery (via a fuse of course) for the supply?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Regarding wire colors, I'm getting contradictory information from my manual...

On page 16.17 (Lighting Circuit Diagram), the right high beam wire is Purple / White and the left high beam wire is Blue / White.

But on page 16.23 (Bike Circuit Diagram), the right high beam is Blue / White and the left high beam is Purple / White.

But if all you're looking for is a high beam wire to trigger a relay, either will do.

When tapping in to an existing circuit, stay away from those cheap-assed crimp-on ScotchLok connectors...

The connectors and wires corrode over time, making unreliable splices.

I solder everything and re-insulate the bare spots with heat-shrink tubing (available at Radio Shack, Lowe's. etc.)

Wiring a lighting relay is covered here:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5255

2004Tiger

Quote from: "REGULATOR"...I was thinking I would tap into the headlight wires so that they only come on with the highbeam, and I wouldn't need a switch ( migth change once I get started)...
Are you sure you want the extra lights ON every time you have high beams?  I can think of many situations where I want high beam only. For myself, I might insert the relay as you describe but add an interrupt switch to depower the relay. Out in the country with the switch ON  I would have automatic switching of the off-road lamps, but always the option of high beams only with the switch OFF.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

REGULATOR

thats a good idea, and thanks for the help....

I might just run a relay to a toggle switch, as soon as I can find a decent place to mount one.... within reach,  that dash is a long ways a way

TigerTrax

Personally...
I would wire them separate; Put in a toggle switch near the hand grip so you can 'twich-it' with your thumb; Run your wiring back under the seat
behind the battery and hook up your relay and tap off the rear tail light;
Suck juice from the battery.

That way... everything off when you turn the key off.

Nice and clean.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

REGULATOR

thats a good idea, and thanks for the help....

I might just run a relay to a toggle switch, as soon as I can find a decent place to mount one.... within reach,  that dash is a long ways a way

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "2004Tiger"
Quote from: "REGULATOR"...I was thinking I would tap into the headlight wires so that they only come on with the highbeam, and I wouldn't need a switch ( migth change once I get started)...
Are you sure you want the extra lights ON every time you have high beams?  I can think of many situations where I want high beam only. For myself, I might insert the relay as you describe but add an interrupt switch to depower the relay. Out in the country with the switch ON  I would have automatic switching of the off-road lamps, but always the option of high beams only with the switch OFF.

Wot I did!!  (Oh and by the way, a legal reqt in the UK)......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

Hey Regulator...
Make small plate to hold the toggle switch and mount it
off your handguard bolts.

If you look at Whitehorse press or Aerostich catalog you'll find
powerlet mount brackets.... use them as a guide.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

REGULATOR

in my drawere of wires and electrical parts ( I'm a packrat, cants stand to throw anythign away, I had a self enclosed switch with adhesive backing, I mounted it right to the place where the headlight switch would go on the right hand side if the bike had come with one...

works a treat,  I'll have to take some photos..  need to get the lights adjusted and aimed some, haven't been able to ride, stuck at home with the children

REGULATOR

heres some pics of the lights

REGULATOR

REGULATOR

I noticed while playing with these..  the stock headlights dim and rise some at a little bit above idle... then they stay the same brightness..

the KC's don't change at all from idle to rev..