News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cold start

Started by 97tiger885, December 08, 2008, 09:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Temps in SC PA have dropped into the 30/20 range.  I am pleased to say the '97 has been starting with no problem.  In Oct it was giving me problems in the low 50s.  That turned out to  be self-inflicted: I hadn't checked the fluid level of the battery and it was very low.  Luckily, the battery revived by just adding H2O.  (It truly is a Die-Hard.)  The start-up procedure that works for me in mid-20 degree temps is the following:  1. Put the mc in neutral; 2. Roll it to break the clutch plates free; 3.  Turn on the gas; 4. Set the choke to fully off (yes, off); 5. Turn on the ignition; 6. Hit the starter;  7.  Do not twist throttle; 8.  At first sound of engine starting, engage choke until engine runs; 9. Use throttle.  I find that if I put on the choke or use throttle with the starter, it does not kick over.  This mc lives outside under a DOW cover and  I haven't made any adjustments to the carbs.  I haven't had to use the truck battery to start it.  I'll see how things go below 20 degrees. I am using a smart charger daily and I am starting the mc at least 5 days a week.