News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking at 04 955i, input please.

Started by Cleaverid, December 10, 2008, 04:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleaverid

Quote from: StretchI suspect you'll be impressed with the smooth power of the 955 triple.  Compared to many other bikes, it's like a 100-hp electric motor, but with a cool snarl when they get spooled up.  With a sporty muffler, I think they sound a lot like a hopped-up Datsun 280Z.

My sentiments exactly.  Just back from the test ride. Great bike, smooth as silk.  Lots of power but very tractable.  I think the DL1000 would be a serious handfull in the dirt but the Tiger is docile.  It pulls evenly from 20 in 6th gear.  Throttle is not too sesitive to inputs like the bigger Strom also. Good brakes, not a lot of feel though but excellent anyway. The wind buffeting was a little high but nothing a Cee Baily windscreen won't fix.  Idle was a little lumpy but I suppose that is the nature of the engine and it gives it personality.  Is exhaust popping on decel normal also? I assume so but I better check.  I was very impressed, so much so I put the deposit down and pick her up next Tuesday.  I am so glad I checked this forum and "chatted" with you folks.  I may have made the mistake of buying a V Strom instead. (Not that they are a bad bike by any means.)  But the Tiger is better. I think I did well on the price too.  Thanks so much and looking FWD to further discussions.

Cleaver

P.S. Who sells a reasonable pipe?
Always look downstream

John Stenhouse

Popping on Decel is normal, they all do it, a sports pipe makes it more noticeable.

Triumph do a pipe, Arrow, Tor and Staintune are the makes I have heard of.
Arrow make Triumphs own pipe. You will need a re map to make the best use of the pipe change.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Cleaverid"...Idle was a little lumpy but I suppose that is the nature of the engine and it gives it personality.  Is exhaust popping on decel normal also? I assume so but I better check.

Cleaver

P.S. Who sells a reasonable pipe?

Idle is a little lumpy... completely normal
Popping on decel... completely normal (more pronounced with aftermarket cans)
A few pipes to choose from... I recommend TOR as they look stock (less hassle from cops), but sound awesome in mid to high rpm. With the factory retune and TOR can, you are looking at more horsepower (7-10 hp) and a very noticeable improvement in low to mid range powah.

Here's how mine sounds:

*Check to see you have the metal fuel connectors. My 2005 model had the plastic connectors. Easy to replace and worth the effort.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Cleaverid

The Kurgan,
Nice sounding pipe. Can the dealer do the remap or do I need a power commander also?  I see you went with frame sliders instead of crash bars, where did you buy those from? Twisted throttle? I think crash bars or sliders and a taller windscreen will be first, that way I can get used to the new bike and then really appreciate the extra power later.
Always look downstream

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Cleaverid"The Kurgan,
Nice sounding pipe. Can the dealer do the remap or do I need a power commander also?  I see you went with frame sliders instead of crash bars, where did you buy those from? Twisted throttle? I think crash bars or sliders and a taller windscreen will be first, that way I can get used to the new bike and then really appreciate the extra power later.

Its a dealer remap. 5 minutes and you're good to go. My dealer did my remap for free, but I also bought my bike from them. A remap is essential. It gives more power and almost no reduction in mpg.

I bought the R&G crash protectors from a local distributor. I do mainly street riding, so the crash protectors are ideal and much lighter. If you do more off-road riding, crash bars will likely offer more protection. I prefer the looks of the bobbins... but its all pesonal preference. Whatever you decide on, don't chinze-out on crash protection -- buy the good stuff. Shop around, Twistedthrottle isn't the only source, and definitely not the cheapest. BTW, the tank alone is over $900 USD to replace!

I like the stock windscreen. I find that taller windscreens move the wind blast to my face! And, you don't want a BIG A$$ windscreen on a Tiger... looks like a plexi-glass wall -- and not very aeordynamic.  :lol:
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

abruzzi

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"You will need a re map to make the best use of the pipe change.

In fact I would mention that even if you don't spring for a TOR or other pipe and keep the restricted stocker on, get the TOR map copied to your ECU.  With the stock pipe, the TOR map makes the bike run cooler, get slightly better gas milage, and it cures a few flat spots in the powerband.

Geof

Cleaverid

I'm thinking the blueflame dual outlet may be the one I look at, but not for a bit.  (Don't want to piss off the wife right away) Thanks for the info on the tune, I'll get that done soon.  (Weather permitting) I hope I get to go riding soon. I pick the bike up Sunday and it is supposed to snow from tomorrow through next Tuesday.  If you are having a drought, I'll come over and buy a bike so the weather can change for you.
Always look downstream

yagi

Here's my Blue Flame twin port .(EVO-3)..will give you an idea what they look like

TigerTrax

Cleaverid....

I have an aftermarket pipe from my '06 Tiger.

It is referred to as the ROTle pipe. Made for Riders of the Lost Empire
(Brit bike group here in USA ).  The thing pops about 11% increase in hp;
weighs probably 1/2 of the OEM TOR; Absolutely warm to the touch after a day of riding ... not HOT; Made of polished stainless steel; NO RIVETS,
all welded.

Narley sound! Wick the throttle and the thing simply 'humms' in pitch. No highway drone noise. Low speed very throaty...

They currently sell at $499; I'll take $300. Like new.

I can send pic if you send e-mail addy to me: ridergroup@cox.net
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Cleaverid

Here are pics of the new ride chillin in the garage.
Always look downstream

TigerTrax

Clean bike, clean garage..... how sic!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

Sexaaayyy!  1050 handguards?

Cleaverid

Garage is still not broken in yet, we moved into the new house @ 4 months ago.  We went from a 2 car garage to a 5 car. SWEET!  :D  :D
I'm not sure on the handguards where they came from.  I got the bike at the Harley dealer and didn't get to talk with the bike's former owner.  It was well cared for though.
Always look downstream