News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger update:

Started by 1speed, December 11, 2008, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Quote from: "Kiwi Tiger"Maybee these guys can help with the light guard     www.thunderbike.co.nz

Thunderbike only had crash guards when I called  earlier this year.  I bought the guards and am quite happy with them.

I have a fast, cheap and effective solution for a light guard for the Steamers.  Buy some velcro tape and some lightweight mesh screen.  You want the screen to be fine enough to deflect smaller stones, stiff enough to maintain its shape when bent,  flexible enough to be shaped by hand, and easlily cut.  (I spent $ to get the perfect screen which is found on door guards intended to protect doors from jumping pets.  About $25.)

Cut two circles of screen with diameters about 1/2 inch larger than the diameters of the holes in the cowl which the lights shine through.  Bend the extra 1/2 inch 90 degrees to form a lip.  Line the outside of this lip (on the screen) with velcro.  Line the inner lip of the two light holes of the cowl with velcro.  (I used 360 degrees of velcro on both the screen and the cowl.  That is way too much, but that screen is going nowhere.  The width of the inner lip of the cowl in not consistant and the tape I used was too wide at places.  I didn't care, but you might want to trim the velcro to the proper width. )  Place the screens inside the light holes of the cowl, press the velcro together  and you have screen guards.  You will need to take the plastic cowl off to mount the screens.  

I have used these for the last 15,000 miles with no problems.  I doubt the screens will hold up  to heavy branches, but for protection from flying stone, these screens are more than enough.  

You may not get Mad Max style points for these, but this is an easy solution which requires little in material and no welding of brackets.

1speed

A few new additions.

MRA Touring windshield (waited 2 1/2 months for this).

Luggage Rack designed for a late model KLR650 (now I need a Pelican case) and a Delorme PN-40 with Ram Mount.

Jim
97 Tiger

harre

Very nice indeed. How does the windshield work? It looks really promising. Any turbulence due to the opening at the bottom? Is it mounted with MRA original parts? Some pictures of this windshield show it mounted without the upper extensions. Did you fabricate those yourself?

adrian jones

Real nice bike.
Great color and damn fine job with the rattle can.

Its "tits" as JetdocX says.......boy haven't heard that one in years......got detention in High School for blurting that out one day   :lol:
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

Stretch

I still say "tits".  I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

But I'm a meat-eating dinosaur.  

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Stretch"I still say "tits".  I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

But I'm a meat-eating dinosaur.  

Does that make you one of a dying breed? :lol:

Sorry, I'll get my coat  :roll:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

I'm not extinct quite yet.

1speed

"Tits" is good with  me too.
The windshield works well as it is now. Being 6'3" with the stock fairing the wind hit me right at face level and I got a lot of noise and buffeting. It is intended to be mounted flat to the fairing with 4 of the original bolts. With the angle of the fairing it was more like a "longer" than "taller windshield and did me no good at all. I intended to make some metal stand off brackets for the top mounts but wanted to experiment with the angle first. So while scrounging throught the garage I found some white hard plastic icemaker line that has the perfect inside diameter to "thread" the stock mounting bolts into. It actually came out pretty solid and if you grab the top of the windshield the whole fairing moves. Once I got the angle right I painted the tubing with Krylon Fusion paint. The opening at the bottom that resulted from rotating the windshield up seems to equalize the pressure and it is much quieter to ride now with almost no buffeting. The only thing I would do differently would be to get a clear winshield. Because of the height I have to look through it to see obstacles near the front wheel when riding offroad and the tint makes it harder to see, guess I'll have to stand up more.
Jim
97 Tiger

aeronca

i dig the fairing, looks good. and does any one else still say"wicked pissa".i guess im still a masshole at heart. :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "aeronca"i dig the fairing, looks good. and does any one else still say"wicked pissa".i guess im still a masshole at heart. :D
:oops: guilty but my wife is from Maine
and Ayuh I live in New Hampshah

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"I'm not extinct quite yet.

Several years working as a contractor for the Navy (Naval Surface Warfare Center) and I have had the term "tits-up" permanently burned into my vocabulary. as in "Gas Turbine number three is dead, she's gone completely tits-up."

Geof

1speed

I got the lowering pegs from Mustang this week and they are beautiful!

Packaged nicely with excellent illustrated instructions.

Comparison to stock pegs with rubber.

Comparison to stock pegs without rubber.

Comparison of pegs on the bike, neither the camera or the bike were moved so this gives you a good idea of the drop.

Stock pegs without rubber.

Mustang's pegs.

These things are slick! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to  ride the bike with them yet. Thanks Mustang for an excellent product!
Jim
97 Tiger

Madruss

Quote from: 1speed link=msg=36742 date=1236907353

img]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/singlespeedin/97%20Triumph%20Tiger/P3120013.jpg[/img]

Comparison to stock pegs with rubber.

Comparison to stock pegs without rubber.

Comparison of pegs on the bike, neither the camera or the bike were moved so this gives you a good idea of the drop.

Stock pegs without rubber.

Mustang's pegs.

Thanks Mustang for an excellent product!
This deserved another airing
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

93TigerBill-2016

I was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Mustang pegs (and a valve-shim tool) a few years ago now, made it possible to ride the 'bike without pain in hips after some time on the road.

RIP Mustang.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

Madruss

Quote from: 93TigerBill-2016 on January 16, 2024, 11:41:15 PMI was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Mustang pegs (and a valve-shim tool) a few years ago now, made it possible to ride the 'bike without pain in hips after some time on the road.
RIP Mustang.
After not riding anything on two wheels for an extended period, it was a shock to my hips & knees having to "fold up my undercarriage" on the tiger with the standard distance between seat height & footpegs.
They'll be the next modification along with boosting the seat.
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!