News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Splice Wires And Solder

Started by Stretch, December 13, 2008, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

I remember reading posts from a couple Brothers saying they didn't know how to solder and work on wiring, so maybe this will help.

Stolen from ADVrider.  It's not plagiarism if I give full acknowledgment, right?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281500

iansoady

Good link - I'm often surprised by how many people don't know how to solder. The critical thing is, as is said there, to heat the work so that it then melts the solder rather than using the iron to melt it.

You can get good results using those little pencil gas torches that are often for sale at autojumbles and the like.

Many people say that crimped joints are better, but that's only true if you have the expensive professional kit - whereas a £5 soldering iron from Maplins will allow you to do a perfect job. I still have a big roll of lead/tin electrician's solder which is probably a bit easier to use than the modern environmentally friendly stuff.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

TigerTrax

My best soldering tools:

Nice little pencil torch   $19
Works great even when soldering in a wire bundle.  
Fits nicely in tool pouch also.

Good lead/tin solder like Ian mentioned.

Plenty of flux.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'